Urban Forestry Laborer I
City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department
JOB POSTED: 3/1/12
Employee performs a wide variety of urban forestry activities in parks, cemeteries, and public right-of-ways. Duties include tree planting and pruning, removal and other related maintenance. Additional duties:
- Operates chipper and pneumatic tools in a safe, efficient, and courteous manner.
- Removal of litter and other debris from assigned areas as directed.
- Loading and setup of tables, chairs, tents, stages, etc. for special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Working knowledge and previous applicable experience in urban forestry practices and techniques desired. Tree identification skills desired. Working knowledge and skill in the safe operation of trucks, equipment trailers, tractors, chainsaws, power tools, hand tools, and other related equipment.
- Working knowledge of mechanics and ability to perform safety/maintenance equipment inspections.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to interact and work well with the public and other employees.
- Must be reliable, punctual, have the ability to follow oral and written direction, and be capable of performing physically demanding work.
- Valid driver's license. Good driving record.
Physical Effort/Working Conditions
Must be in good physical condition. Moderate to strenuous physical effort is exerted by the employee in the setup and operation of equipment, including frequent bending, stooping, and the movement of extremities to operate equipment controls and perform work tasks. Moderate to strenuous physical effort is frequently required for extended periods of time in the lifting and loading of equipment and tools. Employee must be physically capable of lifting weights in excess of 75 pounds and able to work at heights in excess of 50'.
Employee performs duties in and out of doors, in varying weather conditions, and is periodically exposed to work sites with traffic, noise, dust, and vehicle and equipment fumes. Safety precautions are used at all times to avoid injury.
Shifts adjusted seasonally, 8 hours per day, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. No lunch break. Some weekends required if emergency conditions exist. Forty hour work week, except holiday weeks and during periods of inclement weather. Employees under age 18 are subject to restrictions on both hours and prohibited occupations.
May 28 - August 17. Term of employment not to exceed nine months.
$7.63 - $8.20 per hour