• Assist with a tree inventory/replacement plan for the City’s Historic Districct using the Davey Tree Keeper software.
• Assist with preparing new tree regulations for the City (particularly as it pertains to the Maryland Forest Conservation Act).
• Assist with reviewing landscape plans associated with development
• Assist with issuing tree permits
• Assist with inspections
• Assist with responding to residents concerns, complaints, and requests
• Assist with preparing lists for removing and pruning City trees
• Assist with volunteer programs
• Other duties as assigned
The internship would provide the student with an excellent opportunity to learn about urban forestry, a range of environmental issues, and what working for a local government agency is like. The City of Annapolis is very focused on improving the environment. Many environmental organizations are based in or near the City and many of the County and State Departments have their main office in or nearby Annapolis (Department of Natural Resources, Department of Agriculture, etc). Therefore, this internship offers a great opportunity for networking.