|BILINGUAL SCHOOL SECRETARY I|
|Organization: City of Milwaukee|
The Milwaukee Public Schools (Milwaukee Board of School Directors) employs Bilingual School Secretary Is in school and departmental offices throughout the City of Milwaukee. Under supervision, Bilingual School Secretary Is perform a wide variety of duties in such areas as enrollment, student records, student transportation, payroll, the lunch program, field trips, and supply and cash handling. These duties require frequent contact and interaction with parents, students, and other school district staff.
- Performs secretarial duties for the principal and other administrative staff, including distributing mail, word processing, maintaining schedules and calendars and general data entry into MPS databases.
- Receives messages and communicates via telephone and in person with parents, the public, students and other school personnel.
- Establishes and maintains records and files.
- Assists in maintaining school cost center budgets related to ordering, receiving and distributing materials and supplies.'
- Assists with tracking hours for payroll purposes.
- Operates office machines and equipment necessary for efficient operation of the school office.
- Assists students with minor health concerns, such as providing bandages, aspirin, and ice bags. Contacts parents as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- One year of job related word processing and spreadsheet experience.
- NOTE: Formal word processing/spreadsheet software training may substituted for part or all
of the word processing/spreadsheet experience requirement.
- NOTE: Candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the Bilingual School Secretary I position will be
required to pass a proficiency exam in Microsoft Word (version 2007).
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking both English and Spanish languages.
- Residency in the City of Milwaukee within six months of appointment and throughout employment.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- High School Diploma or GED.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations and handle cash accurately.
- Basic keyboarding skills and the ability to learn and use departmental computer software.
- Ability to accurately maintain numerical and alphabetical filing systems.
- Ability to learn and use various types of office equipment.
- Ability to take directions, work in a team environment and maintain good working relationships with multi-cultural Students, coworkers and the public.
- Ability to multi-task and meet varying deadlines regularly.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all work activities.
- Customer service skills and the ability to represent the school in a positive manner.
THE CURRENT SALARY RANGE IS:
- $21,574 - $29,038 (10 month)
- $24,938 - $33,522 (12 month)
- Milwaukee Public Schools provides excellent fringe benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: training and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance examinations; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
This is a continuous examination. Examinations will be given as often as necessary to meet the needs of Milwaukee Public Schools. All candidates will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination.
#12-013—KV (ALK) 2/24/12
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
- You must meet the Minimum Requirements listed above.
- Complete the application online OR submit a hard copy. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT BOTH. A resume does not substitute for the required application; however, you may attach one if you wish.
- Conviction records must be listed on the application. Click here for Guidelines.
Clerical & Administrative Support|
Education / Training
Human and Social Services
City Hall, 200 E. Wells Street, Rm 706|
Country: UNITED STATES
Negotiable / DOQ