Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
City job applications and the Preliminary Background Application (PBA) WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ON-LINE. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the “Apply” icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/lacity/default.cfm
for Open Competitive Examinations. For those who may not have immediate access to a computer, computer access is available at local libraries and worksource centers. Candidates who have problems with the on-line application or need assistance applying on-line, may visit
the Personnel Department Building, 700 E. Temple Street, Room 150, Los Angeles, CA 90012, or call the Public Safety Bureau at (213) 473-9060.
Applications will be accepted on-line only STARTING AT 8:00 A.M. on TUESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2013 UNTIL THURSDAY, JANUARY 17, 2013, AT 11:59 P.M.
Examination Weight: Interview . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
The Qualifying Written Test will be held in a single half-day session and is scheduled for SATURDAY, MARCH 2, 2013 and SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 2013, in Los Angeles. Candidates will be notified by mail for one of those dates. Candidates will be notified of their specific dates and times for the Interview at a later time.
The examination process consists of seven separate tests, usually taken in the following order:
1. The QUALIFYING WRITTEN TEST consists of multiple-choice questions, which measure A) reading comprehension; B) mathematics, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ratios, and the use and conversion of decimals, fractions and percentages; and C) mechanical aptitude.
2. The INTERVIEW is a behavior-based review of a candidate’s personal history. It is designed to evaluate initiative in learning, practical orientation, role adaptability, service orientation, oral communication skills, job motivation, teamwork, and respect for diversity. The minimum passing score is 70. This score will determine a candidate’s rank on the eligible list, which is valid for one year from the date of the interview. This is an extremely competitive examination and only those candidates with the highest scores will continue in the selection process.
3. An initial BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION will be conducted based on a candidate’s ranking on the eligible list and the hiring needs of the Fire Department. Candidates with the highest scores will be called first to provide additional information about their background and to complete additional personal history forms.
4. Those candidates who complete and return the forms in Step 3 will be considered for further processing during an INITIAL REVIEW OF QUALIFICATIONS by a panel consisting of a minimum of 2 City representatives. The Panel will review the candidate’s Preliminary Background Application (PBA), oral interview rating sheets, personal history forms, and additional background information provided during Step 3 above. Depending on the hiring needs of the Fire Department, those candidates with the strongest qualifications will be drawn from this pool of candidates for further processing. This is an extremely competitive examination, and there are relatively few positions to be filled. Based on this, not all candidates in this pool will be selected for further processing.
5. A FIELD INVESTIGATION is conducted to evaluate interpersonal skills, sensitivity, and respect for others; decision-making and judgment; maturity and discipline; honesty, integrity, and personal ethics; setting and achieving goals; and a records check.
6. After the field investigation is conducted, a FINAL REVIEW OF QUALIFICATIONS will be completed by a panel consisting of a minimum of 2 City representatives. On the basis of this review, conditional job offers based on hiring needs will be issued by the Fire Department.
7. A MEDICAL EXAMINATION is conducted by a City physician to evaluate the candidate’s medical fitness (vision, hearing, cardiovascular, respiratory, etc.) to perform the full range of Firefighter duties, with no conditions which would affect the candidate’s ability to safely perform those duties. A PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION (including written tests, and possibly an interview by a City Psychologist) is conducted to evaluate the candidate’s psychological fitness to safely perform the full range of Firefighter duties.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
1. PHYSICAL: Firefighting and medical rescue work is physically demanding. Candidates must be in excellent health and have no conditions, which would restrict their ability to safely perform fire suppression and rescue work. Weight (body fat content) must be proportionate to height. 2. VISION: Uncorrected distance visual acuity of at least 20/100 in the poorer eye and 20/40 in the better eye, correctable to at least 20/40 in one eye and 20/20 in the other eye is required. Regarding refractive surgery, most persons who have had these procedures will be passed. However, some may be deferred for several months or disqualified based on an individualized assessment of the surgical outcome. Regarding color vision, candidates must be able to accurately and quickly name colors and be free of other visual impairments that would restrict their ability to perform firefighter duties. 3. TOBACCO: Firefighters are required to refrain from all use of tobacco throughout their employment with the Los Angeles Fire Department. 4. DRUG & ALCOHOL SCREENING: A drug and alcohol screening test may be required at any time prior to appointment because Firefighter has been designated as a safety sensitive class.
1. As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application on-line. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at: http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf
2. This examination is based on a validation study, and as provided by Civil Service Commission Rule 4.20, the examination will not
be subject to candidate inspection. 3. Names will be removed from the eligible list after one year unless the eligibility of candidates on the list is extended. 4. Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not
possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
NOTICE: If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employer benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN ONLY ON AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER