Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Analyzes accounts as requested to monitor departmental spending and purchasing patterns.
- Performs budget and financial analysis and reviews to enhance completeness and accuracy of performance measures.
- Performs a variety of accounting tasks, which may include posting financial data, balancing accounts, tracking fund activity, and maintaining financial ledgers.
- Communicates with Financial Managers, employees, other departments, City officials, customers, financial institutions, the public and other individuals, as needed, to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information and/or resolve problems.
- Reviews and reconciles general ledger accounts and authorizes or creates journal entries to adjust or correct previous transactions.
- Prepares various financial reports and records including journal entries, payment documents, balance sheets and other financial statements.
- Monitors budgetary expenditures for departments and answers to questions pertaining to same.
- Assists financial managers in reconciling City’s bank accounts and asset and liability subsidiary ledgers.
- Reviews and records accounting entries generated from processing of payroll, accounts payable, and receipting into financial management system.
- Prepares for and assists external auditor regarding the accounting and financial management systems; provides information to auditors as requested.
Provides assistance or backup coverage to other employees or departments as needed, which may include accounts payable, payroll, automated clearinghouse (ACH) processing, contract payment administration, unclaimed property administration, and insurance payment administration. Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration required with a minimum of one (1) year previous accounting and/or financial experience, with government finance experience preferred or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess experience and familiarity with Microsoft Office software applications: Excel, Word, and Outlook. CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report) and/or budget analysis experience desired.