|Business Policy Manager (SA 2 - GG)|
|Organization: City of Seattle|
The Office of Economic Development (OED) is one of the Mayor's Executive Offices and assists the Mayor and Council in developing, analyzing and implementing policies and programs that represent the City's economic development agenda. The Business Services Team is a division of OED that provides direct services and policy in support of the City's economic development agenda.
This position is OED's key advisor for the development and implementation of policy measures critical to the retention and growth of businesses in Seattle. The policy measures could inform and impact the City's permitting processes, land use code, tax policies, utility service delivery, transportation and other infrastructure investments. This position will make policy recommendations to the OED Director, the Mayor, and City Council to improve the City's business regulatory environment. Key duties are as follows:
- Develop and implement the City's business regulatory reform efforts, including supporting the current restaurant permitting process, improving coordination and service delivery between utilities, etc.
- Research and implement national strategies and best practices to improve the City's business regulatory environment.
- Provide analytical and policy development support for OED's key industry sectors including: manufacturing and maritime, life sciences, content technology, clean technology, and downtown and neighborhood commercial business districts.
- Develop, deploy, and analyze business survey tools that identify the regulatory challenges of local businesses.
- Develop and maintain key economic indicators that effectively gauge the City's economic health and performance.
- Develop policy recommendations to OED's Director, the Mayor's Office, and City Council.
- Work with other Business Services Team members to reach out to individual businesses and business groups and understand their specific needs and identify opportunities for the City to support them.
- Lead implementation of policy recommendations developed by the Citywide Business Advocacy Team (CBAT) and manage process to elevate unresolved CBAT business assistance cases to the Mayor's Jobs Subcabinet.
- Represent OED and the City at various community forums related to economic development.
The position requires a high degree of interaction with external stakeholders; industry sectors, business groups; City executives and policymakers; other local, state, and federal govermental agencies; non-profit organizations; and citizens.
Successful candidates for this position must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local business support policies and programs
- Deep understanding of the City's business regulatory environment
- Familiarity with Seattle's economic strengths and high growth industry sectors
- Exceptional analytical and policy development skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with experience writing reports to senior executives and presenting briefings at public meetings
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with diverse communities, including low-income communities
Required Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree in public policy, public administration, planning, finance, economics, business, and/or related field with at least five years of progressively responsible experience in developing and implementing permitting, land use, tax, utility, or transportation policy initiatives at the local, state, or federal levels.
Please attach a resume and cover letter to your application.
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
|If you are unable to apply on-line you may submit a paper application by the closing date to our office.
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT: Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5400 Seattle, WA 98104
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity in the workplace. The City is a Drug Free Workplace.
Administration & Management|
Community and Economic Development
Administrative Analysis & Research
|Office of Economic Development|
Council Central Staff|
PO Box 34025
Country: UNITED STATES
$ 37.20 to $ 55.81 Hourly
|Apply By Date:|
|February 26, 2013|