This is skilled work in the operation of heavy construction and maintenance equipment.
Employees in this class are responsible for the operation of large diesel and gasoline powered equipment entailing considerable manipulative difficulty in utilization. Duties require the ability to follow detailed assignments in maintaining close construction tolerances. Responsibilities include constant attention to safety in work practices in order to avoid accidents. Supervision is received from a skilled superior who inspects work in progress and upon completion for adherence to engineering standards. Supervision may be exercised over unskilled and semi-skilled laborers, motor vehicle operators and maintenance personnel.
1.Operates heavy graders in grading, blading and smoothing roads, cuts slopes to fine measurements and specifications.
2.Operates bulldozer in subgrading, clearing and excavating park sites, roads and parking areas; backfills excavations.
3.Operates backhoe in the maintenance and construction of roads and water/wastewater lines, and fire hydrants.
4. Operates heavy crane to load and unload materials and equipment.
5. Supervises crew in the repair of municipal roadways.
6. Notifies local citizenry of commencement of work as necessary.
7. Inspects equipment prior to starting; checks lubricants and cooling hydraulic and electrical systems; performs minor necessary maintenance; reports malfunctions.
8. Operates flatbed trucks to move heavy equipment to job site.
9. Performs related work as required for this position description only.