|Administrative Assistant I|
|Organization: Albemarle County|
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I
PART-TIME TEMPORARY POSTION
ALBEMARLE CHARLOTTESVILLE REGIONAL JAIL
The Administrative Assistant I perform routine to complex administrative, secretarial and clerical work to support the daily activities and operations of assigned department; to represent the facility and County to the public and provide professional, courteous customer service at all times, and to perform related duties as assigned. The class works within a general outline of work to be performed, and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
Provides administrative and secretarial support to the Programs Director, performing such duties as scheduling and arranging meetings and appointments, researching and compiling Statistical data for reports.
- Establishes and maintains department automated files and records; enters and updates computer data; researches and retrieves data from information systems; generates reports, lists, spreadsheets and other documents.
- Establishes and maintains effective and efficient filing systems, maintaining confidentiality and security as appropriate.
- Reports to inmate requests for participation in various programs, and files accordingly on a daily basis and maintains class/program rosters, waiting lists, and schedules for each inmate class and program.
- Creates preliminary rosters for new and recurring classes based on specific criteria and makes revisions to class program rosters as needed on the changing status of participating inmates.
- Answers the telephone; provides accurate information to callers and/or forwards calls to Programs Director; screens calls as appropriate; takes messages as needed.
- Performs VCIN certification and reviews criminal histories for inmate evaluation related to class program participation.
- Performs routine clerical work, which may include copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, assembling materials, ordering supplies, and distributing reports and memos, etc.
- Assists Programs Director with setting up, preparation, hosting and representing the ACRJ in community events either at the facility or within the community.
- May complete special projects as assigned.
- Formats Press Releases announcing inmate or facility events and forwards to various media sources in the community.
- Responsible for guiding others, requiring frequent decisions affecting co-workers and others who depend on the service or product; works in a somewhat fluid environment with rules and procedures but with many variations from the routine.
QUALIFICATIONS: Requires gathering, organizing, analyzing, examining or evaluating data or information and may prescribe action based on such data or information. Computer knowledge required; Microsoft Word, Power Point and Publisher programs; requires giving information, guidance or assistance to people to directly facilitate task accomplishment; may give directions or assignments to helpers or assistants; requires handling or using machines, tools or equipment requiring brief instruction or experience, such as computers for data entry, fax machines, copiers, telephones or similar equipment; may service office machines, including adding paper and changing toner; requires performing skilled work involving rules/systems with almost constant problem solving; requires performing addition and subtraction, multiplication and division and/or calculating ratios, rates and percents; requires reading technical instructions, procedures, manuals and charts to solve practical problems; composing routine reports and specialized reports, forms and business letters with proper format; speaking compound sentences using normal grammar and word form; requires doing clerical, manual or technical tasks requiring a wide range of procedures and requiring intensive understanding of a restricted field or complete familiarity with the functions of a unit or small division of an operating agency; requires normal attention with short periods of concentration for accurate results or occasional exposure to unusual pressure. Associate’s degree, vocational technical degree or specialized training that is equivalent to satisfactory completion of two years of college education with emphasis in business, office management, secretarial science or a closely related field, required; requires a minimum of two years experience. SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES: Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
PHYSICAL AND DEXTERITY REQUIREMENTS: Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 50 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations. The job may risks exposure to disease/pathogens, violence. The job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities, color perception.
HOURS: up to 40 Hour Weekly
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Until Filled
APPLY: Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail, 160 Peregory Lane, Charlottesville, VA 22902, (434) 977-6981 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (434) 977-6981 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting; FAX: (434) 977-9617
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Hiring for Albemarle County shall be accomplished without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status or disability unless otherwise permitted by County policy or applicable law. Applicants hired by the County must be citizens of the United States or legally authorized to work in the United States. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for persons with disabilities if requested.
Return to Job Openings
Clerical & Administrative Support|
401 McIntire Road|
Country: UNITED STATES
| Temporary- Part-Time|
$ 12.00 Hourly
|Apply By Date:|
|Open Until Filled|