|Database Administrator - Security Certified|
|Organization: City of Tucson|
|DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR |
(SECURITY CERTIFIED) Information Technology Department Grade: 715 Salary Range: $53,465 - $88,191 annually D.O.E.
AS THE EMPLOYER OF CHOICE FOR SOUTHERN ARIZONA, WE OFFER EXCELLENT BENEFITS AND AN OUTSTANDING WORKING ENVIRONMENT!
Employees in these classifications earn 104 hours of sick leave and 104 hours of vacation leave annually. Vacation accrual rates increase with seniority. Sick Leave balances are unlimited and Vacation balances have a cap of 288 hours.
Click for Complete Listing of Benefits
IMPORTANT PENSION INFORMATION:
Full time employees also enjoy the benefits of membership in the Tucson Supplemental Retirement System (TSRS). The City's defined benefit pension plan has provided lifetime income to City of Tucson retiree's since 1950, and the program continues to provide monthly income to over 2,700 retirees. All TSRS members participate in paying for the cost of this benefit, by making payroll contributions that provide 40% of the funding; the remaining 60% funding is paid by the Employer. All member contributions are placed in the TSRS trust, but remain the property of each employee member, and are credited with interest at the rate of 6% each year. Contribution requirements to TSRS change annually on July 1st, and represent a significant component of your compensation and benefits from the City of Tucson. The payroll deduction for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2013 is 13.976% of gross pay. As an example, applying this contribution requirement to an hourly employee making $15/ hour for an 80 hour, bi-weekly paycheck, would result in the following deduction from pay: $15.00 X 80 = $1200, $1,200 X 13.976% = $167.71 deduction. This contribution is considered a pretax contribution. In calculating a pretax contribution, the amount of taxes withheld will be reduced, as the basis for the taxable amount will be reduced.
Both the general public and City of Tucson employees are invited to apply for this position. You are encouraged to print this bulletin because it contains important dates and information that will not be available online once this position closes.
The Information Technology Department is a 24/7 operation. The incumbent will be required to serve in an on-call status to respond to requests and emergencies occurring after normal business hours.
This is a security certified position. The successful candidates will be required to pass an extensive criminal background check conducted by the Tucson Police Department as well as a polygraph examination.
The Information Technology Department is seeking a dynamic team-player with both technical and communication skills. This position requires strong administrative experience in the Oracle (10g and higher), and SQL Server (2005 and higher) environments. Candidates should have strong skills in structured query language (DDL and DML), experience with database backup and recovery methods, and an understanding of database design and performance tuning techniques and concepts. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical people, bridging the gap between business rule analysis and database development and implementation.
Essential duties include:
- Database Availability and Integrity - Ensure that the City's data and databases are available, usable and reliable through monitoring, security practices, and data integrity facilities.
- Database security - Establish and enforce policies and procedures related to database authentication, data access control authorization, and auditing of security practices.
- Backup and Recovery - Plan, implement and maintain database backup and recovery strategies to protect the City's data and databases in the event of a problem.
- Applications systems database support - Provide daily operations support to existing applications systems databases. Provide technical project team support for application systems modifications and/or development. Develop and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Troubleshooting - Exercise strong troubleshooting skills to quickly ascertain the problem, and correct it without losing data or making the situation worse.
- Performance monitoring and tuning - Proactively establish optimum values for existing and newly installed systems to optimize performance. Ensure that best practices are followed so that good performance will result.
- Installation, configuration, upgrade and migration - Evaluate new database methodologies, version upgrades, and/or new implementation methods for planned upgrades, migrations, and regular maintenance. Advise management of opportunities, changes, or alternative action to meet city-wide user needs.
- Database design - Understand and adhere to sound relational design practices and defined City standards. Design/review logical and physical database designs for proposed changes to existing databases or new project implementations.
- Communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, to both technical and non-technical audiences to inform the user community, management, and peers of the work being accomplished.
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science or a directly related field
- Over three years experience in database development and administration
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Tucson Police Department security clearance - extensive criminal background check, polygraph examination and drug screen required An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position may be considered.
- Ideal candidate will have advanced-level skills in Oracle 10g and higher and SQL Server 2005 and higher.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Some positions require a satisfactory criminal background check, Public Records Check and/or physical, drug screen and/or audio exam. Fingerprinting and reference checks may also be conducted prior to an offer of employment. Employment offers are contingent upon successfully passing any of the above requirements.
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
Information, Technology & Communication Services|
P.O. Box 27210|
Country: UNITED STATES
| Mid to Senior Level|
$53,465.00 to $88,191.00 Annually
|Apply By Date:|
|March 3, 2013|