|Organization: City of Allen|
The purpose of this position is to ensure compliance with City building and maintenance codes for commercial and residential properties. This is accomplished by conducting field inspections and verifying compliance with codes. Other duties may include maintaining records, researching methods and codes, interacting with contractors and other departments, providing departmental support and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Ensures compliance of building codes and ordinances by conducting field inspections of commercial and residential properties, reviewing building, electric and maintenance codes, determining whether codes are being met, assigning citations when appropriate, conducting regular follow-up inspections, helping resolve problems, issuing certificates of occupancy and performing final inspections.
- Interacts with citizens, contractors and other departments by explaining code requirements and corrections, coordinating actions with other employees and departments, verifying City policies and procedures for the department and reviewing code compliance with product manufacturers, building designers and engineers.
- Researches methods and codes by studying manufacturers’ literature, examining tests from code underwriters and laboratory testing agencies and reviewing plan documents and City codes for changes.
- Maintains records by entering information into the computer system, recording inspections, preparing inspector’s tickets, correcting inspection information and writing correction orders.
- Provides departmental support by submitting payroll time sheets, purchasing supplies and conducting safety meetings.
Formal Education / Knowledge Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with six months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Junior college, vocational, business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Experience Over one year up to and including two years of relevant experience. Combination Inspector experience preferred.
Certification and Other Requirements Valid Texas Class C Driver's License, Texas State Plumbing Inspector's License preferred.
Reading Advanced - Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Math Advanced - Ability to apply fundamental concepts of theories, work with advanced mathematical operations methods, and functions of real and complex variables. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Writing Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Managerial Receives general directions. The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. The employee may choose the appropriate procedure or policy. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Budget Responsibility None.
Supervisory / Organizational Control No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Complexity Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills Persuasion Frequent: From 21% to 50% of work time.
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.cityofallen.org OR City Hall, 305 Century Parkway Allen, TX 75013
Planning & Building Safety|
305 Century Parkway|
Country: UNITED STATES
$ 16.80 to $ 23.11 Hourly
|Apply By Date:|