|Organization: County of Cumberland|
Corrections Officer - Cumberland County Jail - APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit application to the Human Resources Office, 142 Federal Street, Room 100, Portland, ME 04101. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Ensures a high quality corrections facility by providing for the care, custody, and control of inmates. Supervise inmates in their personal and quarters cleanliness according to established rules and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or equivalent, successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy Basic Corrections Course or completion within first year of employment. Certified in CPR or able to obtain certification. Three (3) years post secondary employment or a combination of education and employment to equal three (3) years. Capable of physically controlling violent, unruly members of the inmate population. Two (2) years post secondary education desirable.
Captains, Lieutenant, Sergeant, Intake Unit Supervisor, Transportation Unit Supervisor
- Ensures a safe and secure facility by managing the secure in and out processing, transportation, care and behavior of inmates.
- Ensures quality inmate activities by preparing, executing, and managing lock downs, head counts, recreation, visits, interviews, medical passes and treatment, dining and inmate rehabilitation programs.
- Ensures inmates court appearance by organizing, preparing, executing, and managing transport; maintaining the safety and security of inmates and the public throughout the entire process.
- Meets all corrections facility standards by supervising the cleaning and disinfecting of inmate quarters and provides necessary linen and supplies.
- Takes emergency action when necessary by summoning Medical department and services as necessary; managing cell assignments and transfers.
- In emergency situations, such as fire or bomb threat, ensures inmate safety by organizing, preparing, executing and managing the evacuation of sections or the entire facility.
- Ensures inmates follow required behavior standards by supervising recreation, visiting, dining, schools, AA meetings and other activities.
- Ensures immediate handling of problems by intervening in inmate altercations and escorts unruly inmates into segregation area.
- Meets all legal requirements by maintaining accurate logs on all significant activity in the housing units.
- Ensures inmates abide by facility rules by performing searches of inmates, rooms and the entire facility to prevent use and seize any contraband.
- Assists staff by working in specialized skill areas as trained and assigned.
- Provide for inmate’s needs by organizing, sorting, transporting, delivering and collecting mail.
Starting Salary $17.14/hr, 40 hours/week
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
Cumberland County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applicants will be considered for this position on the basis of ability. All qualified interested candidates are encouraged to apply.
Submit application to the Human Resources Office, 142 Federal Street, Room 100, Portland, ME 04101. Applications are available to download from our website, www.cumberlandcounty.org . Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
142 Federal Street|
Country: UNITED STATES
Negotiable / DOQ
|Apply By Date:|