|Organization: Dona Ana County|
Under the direction of the assigned supervisor, ensures that Detention Officers are providing security, safety, health, and care of detainees confined in the Detention Center.
1. Must learn, understand and be able to facilitate all the duties under Direct Supervision protocols.
2. Maintains the security and safety of the jail; processes the booking and release of offenders; supervises inmate work crews and provides supervision during meals; conducts cell searches and head counts; transports and escorts inmates to doctor’s appointments; and facilitates the movement of detainees from booking to housing.
3. Responsible for training new Detention Officers on job duties under his or her supervision; ensures all work is completed appropriately and safely; performs employee evaluations; recommends disciplinary action to the assigned Lieutenant; monitors delegated work duties for areas of responsibility and/or assignment; conducts briefings with staff; addresses operational issues in areas of responsibility and/or assignment.
4. Administers first aid when necessary and refers detainees to the attention of the medical staff as necessary.
5. Reviews all incident reports from assigned staff for accuracy, proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
6. Responsible for the supervision of assigned Detention Officers; trains, motivates and evaluates personnel; recommends training to the Lieutenant; works with employees to correct deficiencies; recommends disciplinary action and implements discipline.
7. Monitors and patrols security of designated areas of the facility and controls traffic to and from specific areas; reports and documents any unusual conditions of potential disorder; and performs counts according to policy and directives.
8. Will work as Facility Training Officer (FTO) for assigned shift as delegated.
9. JUVENILE SERGEANTS: At the discretion of management based on facility needs, this position may be assigned a 12-hour shift schedule or Monday thru Friday schedule; the Monday thru Friday assignment may be assigned for 12-hour shift coverage as necessary.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES. Will perform duties of a detention officer on an “as needed” basis.
A. Education. High school diploma or equivalent.
B. Experience. Three (3) years of full-time work experience in a detention facility, correctional institute, or similar type program that dealt with the adjudication and incarceration of individuals in a confined and controlled environment.
C. Experience substitution. None.
D. Licenses/Certifications. Must have a valid unrestricted driver’s license if assigned to Transport Division; be able to obtain certifications for CPR and First Aid within 90-days of hire.
E. Other (e.g., post-offer medical exam, polygraph, background check, driver’s license record, etc.). NCIC, polygraph, psychological exam, background check, medical exam, and driver’s license record.
EMPLOYMENT DISQUALIFIERS: Any detected or undetected felony convictions. Conviction, pleading to or admitting to the use, sale or distribution of any illegal controlled substance or non-prescribed controlled substance. Conviction, pleading to or admitting to illegal use of cocaine within the last 3 years or marijuana within the last year. DWI convictions or unsafe driving within the last 3 years if assigned to transport. Conviction of a crime of moral turpitude. Dishonorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces may disqualify. Conviction, pleading to or admitting theft may disqualify. Conviction, pleading to or admitting a violent domestic incident.
Knowledge of: Operations, services and activities of standards, policies and procedures, and comprehensive detention programs; laws, regulations and procedures applicable to the operation of holding facilities and victim's rights; ACIC/NCIC/PACE/AFIS systems, security and privacy; Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies, their functions, jurisdiction, and procedural and operational relationship to detention; budget principles and practices; modern supervisory, training and evaluation methods, theories, and practices.
Skilled in: Computer equipment and software for spreadsheets and a database; statistical analysis, research methods and report presentation.
Ability to: Establish and maintain effective working relationships; analyze problems, identify appropriate solutions and project consequences of proposed actions; provide implementation in support of goals; make sound judgments and use discretion in applying and interpreting policies and procedures and in planning, assigning, directing, and evaluating the work of employees; use logical and creative thought processes to develop written specifications and/or oral instructions; provide leadership and manage and supervise a 24-hour holding facility; comprehend and make inferences from material written in the English language; listen and communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; recall visual details; interact effectively with individuals of varied social, economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds; learn and perform first aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) procedures; recognize unusual medical, physical, or mental conditions of prisoners; learn the use and care of weapons (including firearms), restraint and self-defense tactics; when required, use sufficient physical force.
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
845 N. Motel Blvd.
Las Cruces, NM 88007
An Equal Opportunity Employer
|DC Sergeant Supplemental Questionnaire
||What is your highest educational degree received?
|| Less than High School Diploma/GED
High School Diploma/GED
||Do you have a minimum of three (3) years of full-time work experience in a detention facility, correctional institute, or similar type program that dealt with the adjudication and incarceration of individuals in a confined and controlled environment?
|| Yes No
|* Required Question
Dona Ana County Government Center|
845 N. Motel Blvd
City: Las Cruces
State: New Mexico
Country: UNITED STATES
| Mid to Senior Level|
$ 16.28 Hourly
|Apply By Date:|