|DEPUTY DIVISION ADMINISTRATOR, NEVADA OSHA|
|Organization: STATE OF NEVADA|
Annual Salary: Up to $85,579* (employee/employer paid retirement plan)
* NOTE: Per NV State Legislature, State of Nevada Classified/Unclassified employees are subject to a mandatory unpaid furlough requirement of 48 hours per year through June 30, 2013.
The Nevada Division of Industrial Relations (DIR) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Deputy Division Administrator to oversee its Nevada OSHA section. Under the direction of the Division Administrator, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is charged with administration of statutory programs and policies relevant to the regulation of workplace safety and manages all facets of the occupational safety and health program for the State of Nevada Division of Industrial Relations. In addition, the Nevada OSHA CAO oversees the Mechanical Unit to ensure the safe operation of boilers, elevators, and pressure vessels in the State of Nevada.
The position is responsible for effectively managing internal and external relationships with Nevada private and public employers and employees, within DIR, and with Federal OSHA. Responsibilities include management of a staff of 108 employees located in Henderson and Reno.
Specific duties encompass the following:
- Managing all functions of the Nevada Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) program to enforce safety and health standards and regulations.
- Responsible for the Nevada OSHA Mechanical Unit, which enforces the safety operation of boilers, elevators, and pressure vessels.
- Overseeing Part 11C Federal Whistleblower Act for the Nevada State Plan through the conduct of investigations of employee discrimination complaints.
- Work with employers, trade groups and union representatives to ensure clear, concise understanding of regulatory requirements.
- Coordinating issuance of licenses for authorized mechanical inspectors, asbestos abatement activities, and photovoltaic installers.
- Represent Nevada OSHA at legislative hearings.
- Perform Public Hearings and Public Workshops as necessary.
- Initiates and conducts informal conferences and post contest conferences with employers and/or their legal representatives to resolve the disposition of proposed citations and penalties.
- Ensure timely presentation of cases to DIR Legal for presentation to the Nevada Occupational Safety and Health Review Board.
- Overseeing cooperative programs to promote safety and health programs for Nevada businesses through formal Partnerships.
- Serving as a partner with the Safety Consultation and Training Section (SCATS) in servicing Nevada businesses to encourage employers and employees to reduce workplace hazards by implementing new programs or improving existing safety and health programs.
- Promoting leadership for State of Nevada and local government safety and health program activities to encourage cooperative efforts.
- Overseeing the Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) for business recognition and exemption of enforcement inspections for exemplary safety and health programs.
- Working with representatives from Federal OSHA Region IX to promote occupational safety and health in the State of Nevada.
- Preparing and monitoring the Nevada OSHA budget and directing section utilization.
- Being responsible for Nevada OSHA involvement in DIR planning and providing recommendations to DIR administration on issues affecting the section.
This position is in the unclassified service and is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Division Administrator.
- Excellent oral and written communication, influence management, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of personnel practices to promote attainment of the goals of Nevada OSHA.
- Excellent human relations skills with demonstrated ability to build effective working relationships inside and outside state government.
- Strong skills in the administrative aspects of safety engineering, safety management or industrial hygiene or a combination of directly related functions or comparable work, which has demonstrated abilities of the candidate to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to work with the media.
- Knowledge of mainframe and software programs directly related to Nevada OSHA functions or services including all components of the Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat Professional, NCR based OSHA Data Processing System, and web-based applications.
- Understanding of the legislative and regulatory process.
- Knowledge of Nevada OSHA service strategy and implementation procedures.
- Understanding of processes performed by the Mechanical Unit to conduct inspections of boilers, elevators, and pressure vessels.
- Demonstrated ability to: design, develop, and implement concepts and programs to create and maintain safe and healthful workplaces; develop industry specific programs; and assess progress in implementation of services.
- Achievement or enrollment in professional safety and health designations such as CSP (Certified Safety Professional), CSHM (Certified Safety and Health Manager), and CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist) is highly desirable.
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
The position will be located in Henderson Nevada.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Judi Waite, Administrative Assistant IV
Nevada Division of Industrial Relations
400 W. King Street, Suite 400
Carson City, NV 89703
Resume must include a detailed description of employment history to include name and addresses of employers including reasons for leaving, scope of responsibility, salary history, and professional references.
Announcement Closes: when recruitment needs are satisfied.
The State of Nevada is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, genetic information (GINA), or gender identity and expression in any term, condition or privilege of employment are violations of State and Federal Law.
Administration & Management|
Administrative Analysis & Research
|BUSINESS AND INDUSTRY -DIVISION OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS|
400 W. King Street|
City: Carson City
Country: UNITED STATES
| Mid to Senior Level|
Negotiable / DOQ
|Apply By Date:|
|Open Until Filled|