Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the “Apply” icon.
On-line job bulletins are also available at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/lacity/default.cfm
for Open Competitive Examinations.
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
Applications must be received by THURSDAY, MARCH 28, 2013.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the written test in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs in the order that applications were received. Applications submitted during the filing period will be kept on file for two years from March 15, 2013 in the event that additional applicants need to be tested to meet hiring needs.
Examination Weights: Personal Characteristics Written Test .. .Qualifying
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Written Test .. . .100%
The examination for Drafting Aide will consist of a qualifying Personal Characteristics Written Test and a Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Written Test.
In the qualifying Personal Characteristics Written Test, which will consist entirely of multiple choice questions, candidates will be assessed for personal characteristics important for successful employment with the City of Los Angeles.
The examination score will be based entirely on the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Written Test. In the written test, which will consist of multiple choice questions, candidates may be examined for knowledge of: drafting fundamentals; addition, subtraction, multiplication and division sufficient to perform calculations; geometric terminology; and the ability to read, interpret, and extract information from procedure manuals, forms, reports, street maps and limited information from plans; use a variety of alphabetic and numeric filing systems; interact courteously and effectively with other employees, contractors, vendors and the public; and other necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities.
The written tests will be administered in a single half-day session on SATURDAY, MAY 4, 2013, in Los Angeles. Candidates will be notified later by mail of the time and location of the written tests.
Passing Score for the Qualifying Personal Characteristics Written Test
The passing score for the qualifying Personal Characteristics Written Test will be determined by Personnel Department staff based on statistical information derived from research.
1. This examination is based on a validation study, and as provided by Civil Service Commission Rule 4.20, the written test will not be subject to candidate inspection.
2. A valid California driver’s license may be required prior to appointment. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if within the past 36 months they were convicted of a major moving violation, such as driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, and may be disqualified if there are three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents within the past 36 months.
3. As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
4. Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
5. A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list. This score will be based on each candidate’s performance on the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Written Test. Candidates who fail to achieve a passing score on the qualifying Personal Characteristics Written Test will not receive a score on the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Written Test.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN ONLY
ON AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
An Equal Opportunity Employer