|Traffic Operations Center (TOC) Operator|
|Organization: City of Franklin, Tennessee|
Under limited supervision, performs systems operation of the City’s Traffic Operations Center (TOC) and is responsible for daily activities of the TOC including control, dispatch, coordination, data logging, system enhancement and public liaison. Assist with other duties in the Engineering Department as assigned. Reports to the Traffic/ITS Project Manager.
- Operates TOC systems and devices through sophisticated ITS software (both proprietary and non-propriety) and complex communication linkages. Provides daytime staffing of Center operations and maintenance of systems.
- Monitors ITS device operation through the use of laptop computer in the field and/or a desktop computer in the TOC. Recommends and safely completes appropriate changes for effective system operation.
- Documents work performed on all ITS devices in the TOC and the arterial infrastructure.
- Establishes, maintains and updates the database of information associated with system operation and data collection.
- Recognizes critical and emergency situations and coordinates response with emergency service providers through dispatch and control of system equipment.
- Monitors and maintains an active log of congestion and incident information using various tools including CCTV monitoring, ITS software applications and the Police computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) feeds for incidents.
- Performs public outreach of traffic conditions through website display to provide alternate routes and updates on conditions relating to incidents, construction zones, natural and/or manmade disasters.
- Performs liaison with the public via citizen inquiries, visitor reception and touring, and promotional displays.
- Receives, analyzes and responds to complaints and requests from citizens, other departments, and other agencies. Makes recommendations as to needed traffic operation actions.
- Integrates and utilizes Graphical User Interface (GUI) mapping and displays into Center operations.
- Verifies that systems and equipment are working properly and reports problems where and when they occur.
- Modifies and implements traffic signal timing under direct supervision and as approved by supervisor and the traffic engineer
- Logs information concerning traffic incidents and procedures taken to resolve incidents into incident log system.; records incident information pertaining to the type of incident that has occurred such as, but not limited to location/intersection, weather conditions during incident, start and clear times, etc. Prepares quarterly and yearly incident reports.
- Assists in traffic investigations by counting traffic, checking speed of traffic and talking to the traveling public to gain simple information.
- Conducts traffic volume counts for a geographic area; maintains traffic counters by repairing or replacing damaged parts; operates and utilize a variety of equipment including traffic counters, radar guns and other traffic equipment under limited supervision.
Ideal candidates will have experience in command, control, call or 911 type center operations and activities using related computer and communications equipment. Must be computer literate and proficient in Windows operating system and be able to effectively understand and communicate in person, on the radio and on the telephone. Familiarity of local/regional Interstates and roadways is required. Require High School Diploma or GED. The appropriately qualified candidate should have the following core competencies and required experience or the equivalent experience, education, and training:
- One year related experience in dispatch center or 911 operations is preferred;
- Experience in a position involving public contact and telephone responsibilities preferred.
Must possess a valid State of Tennessee driver’s license.
Submit online application at www.franklintn.gov/jobs
Deadline to Apply: 5/2/2013
Salary: $17.30 hourly
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
Dispatch / Telecommunications|
City of Franklin HR Department|
109 3rd Ave South
Country: UNITED STATES
$ 17.30 Hourly
|Apply By Date:|