|Organization: City of North Miami Beach|
The City of North Miami Beach, Florida is seeking a qualified visionary, collaborative professional for the position of City Manager.
The City of North Miami Beach is a progressive, economically and demographically diverse community located in Miami Dade County, Florida. Equidistant between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, its population is approximately 42,000. The City is a full service community with an annual combined budget of approximately $110MM; with approximately 400 employees. The City has a Council-Manager form of government.
The Ideal Candidate
The elected officials are looking for an executive manager / partner / advisor. They seek someone who will facilitate the Council’s agenda and carry out its responsibilities; an executive manager who understands that the elected officials set policy and who will then thoughtfully distill the alternatives into reasonable options. The individual will present all the best options – not just the one the manager thinks is best – and do so in a way that gives the Council the information and time it needs to evaluate the options and make the best decision. She/he will recognize their role as facilitator of the Council’s agenda, and possess the ability to manage multiple, complex relationships with Council members and the Mayor.
The individual must be an outstanding leader and mentor of the staff. He/she will be the chief implementer, but realize one person cannot do it all. Teamwork will be important as will an understanding of the importance of collaboration. The individual will provide direction and resources while relying on staff to get things done. She/he will be on top of what is going on in the organization without insisting on being intimately involved and/or micromanaging. Accountability will be important and the manager will expect projects to be completed on time and within budget. He/she will be an experienced professional who can foresee the consequences of actions and who can advise the elected officials so they can optimize what they do. The manager will also help the Council define the City’s core mission and help the City avoid distractions from that mission.
Personally, the manager will be honest, ethical, an outstanding communicator and a problem solver. The individual will believe in transparency, openness and in keeping the elected officials and the staff fully informed. She/he will be creative, straightforward, strong and self-confident enough to tell the Council what it needs to hear, not what it wants to hear. Tact and diplomacy are essential as are energy, a critical eye and a love for the City. The manager will represent the City well and have outstanding communication skills. Ideally the individual will be a cheerleader for the City and be relentlessly positive.
He/she will be equally comfortable speaking to a group of Chief Executive Officers as to a homeless person. The individual will relish being involved in the community and reach out to all aspects from business to neighborhoods, non-profit organizations, the arts and educational communities. She/he will be a strategic thinker who takes the long term view, someone who understands how decisions made today on one project will impact the future fabric of the City. A sense of humor will be critical. The individual will understand politics but not be politically involved. He/she must have the ability to help the elected officials develop and/or refine their vision for the City and its future. A willingness to challenge established thinking is critical, and strong negotiation skills will be very important.
In terms of experience, the City is looking for someone with a strong record of achievement and an outstanding knowledge of economic development, finance and urban development. The City of North Miami Beach has a sense of place and a vision. It also has developed a number of strategies to achieve our goals, but there is a sense that all the pieces are not yet in place or fully integrated into an effective brand. Rendering exceptional services is important to the City, and some experience with them will be helpful. Furthermore, experience working with unions, the media, other governmental agencies, public / private partnerships and with a wonderfully diverse community are all elements that the City desires in a candidate.
The position requires the following:
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, or related field, with advanced degree strongly preferred.
- ICMA certification strongly preferred during selection process; required within first year of service.
- Ten years of senior level leadership experience within an organization of comparable complexity (110MM budget; 400 employees; culturally diverse population), including a minimum of five years as a ranking senior executive, City / County Manager, or Assistant Manager.
- Deep knowledge of the South Florida region and market, including the governmental structure, agencies, relationships, and decision making processes within Miami-Dade County.
- Superior general management, economic development, fiscal management and budgeting skills are mandatory.
- Highly developed executive level leadership skills, including superior communication skills (interpersonal as well as written), an exceptionally strong work ethic, individual initiative, and the ability to achieve results in a complex environment.
- Strategic planning experience and a proven track record of operational results.
- Evidence of community leadership at the personal level.
- Experience in collective bargaining and labor relations is a plus.
How to Apply
E-mail your resume to Rose Amberson, Director of Human Resources, @ firstname.lastname@example.org through Friday, May 3, 2013. Faxed or hard copy applications will not be considered. Please direct all inquiries to Rose Amberson.
The City will be following the selection process outlined below.
- The position will be initially posted for the three week period of April 12 - May 3, 2013, with applications being accepted through that date.
- Applicants will be screened by a Nominating Committee between May 6 – May 23, 2013.
- It is expected that on-site interviews will be conducted (individual as well as panel), during the week of May 27. 2013.
- The final selection is expected by the first week of June, 2013.
Other Important Information
The City of North Miami Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce. It encourages minorities and women to apply. Visit our website at www.citynmb.comPlease mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
Administration & Management|
17011 NE 19 Ave|
City: North Miami Beach
Country: UNITED STATES
$ 0.00 Annually
Negotiable / DOQ
|Apply By Date:|
|Email resume to email@example.com by the COB on 5/3/2013|