|Deputy Airport Director (Airport Business Development Specialty)|
|Organization: Orange County, CA|
|ORANGE COUNTY Department of Human Resource Services 333 W. Santa Ana Blvd, Santa Ana, CA 92701 Contact Us at https://clients.comcate.com/newrequest.php?id=36
INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
|Deputy Airport Director (Airport Business Development Specialty)
The County of Orange, John Wayne Airport (JWA) is looking for the next Deputy Airport Director of Business Development who will play a pivotal role managing JWA's commercial real estate and revenue programs; real estate projects involving the acquisition, asset management, and disposition of real property; purchasing functions; and insurance compliance.
This recruitment is being conducted to establish an Open Eligible List to fill County of Orange, John Wayne Airport vacancies until the next recruitment.
Online applications will be accepted beginning Tuesday, April 23, 2013. The recruitment will be open for a minimum of five business days and will remain open until the needs of the County are met. Orange County encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds with extensive related experience to apply.
JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT (JWA) is a medium hub airport, serving nearly nine Million Annual Passengers (MAP) and approximately 450 General Aviation (GA) aircraft ranging from vintage biplanes and helicopters to corporate jets. JWA is one of the two providers of general aviation services and facilities in Orange County, and is also home to local law enforcement and medical/mercy flights. JWA is the place through which millions travel each year to their homes, their families, their vacations, and their businesses.
The Airport recently completed construction of a new multi-level Terminal C with six new commercial passenger gates, new security checkpoints, greater baggage screening capability, and new commuter facilities at the north and south ends of the extended terminal. A Central Utility Plant and a 2,200 space parking structure were also completed. U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Department of Agricultural services are provided at a newly constructed international arrivals facility located in Terminal C.
John Wayne Airport, owned and operated by the County of Orange, is a self-supporting enterprise fund that receives no monies from the County General Fund. Revenues generated at the Airport support day-to-day operations, provide for repayment of revenue bonds, fund facility capital improvements or maintenance projects, and support aviation planning. The airport utilizes a compensatory fee system to establish rates for terminal rentals, landing fees and apron fees.
THE WORKPLACE: JWA has a team of forward-focused leaders who are dedicated to providing high quality aviation services in a safe, secure and efficient manner. As leaders, we are committed to developing an empowered workforce, working collaboratively with each other and members of the community.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring all commercial real property contracts involving the Airport, as well as purchasing all necessary equipment and services to keep the Airport running efficiently. The division is comprised of three units, the Asset Management unit, the Purchasing unit and the Insurance unit.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The County of Orange, John Wayne Airport has a challenging opportunity for a visionary, entrepreneurial, results-oriented senior level professional to join our executive management team.
Upon joining the Airport, the Deputy Airport Director of Business Development will exercise managerial responsibility in the oversight of the commercial program at JWA including concession analysis, planning, and leasing to enhance commercial revenue for the airport. This program includes all airlines, food service, retail, rental cars, parking, ground transportation, general aviation leasing and commercial advertising at JWA. In addition to traditional airport concessions, innovative sources of revenue should be considered. This position will also have managerial oversight of critical purchasing and insurance compliance functions that support Airport operations and improvement projects.
- Leadership experience in a commercial airport, airline, and other environment that is involved in complex government and/or sensitive community issues relating to leasing and property management, contracts, purchasing, etc.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with a variety of audiences
- Proven negotiator skills
- Hands on problem solving skills; creative and innovative
- Experience and ability advising and applying expert knowledge of public administration, real estate management, asset development, concession planning and business/enterprise development, procurement, and risk management
- Operational knowledge of the Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program
- A can-do attitude, entrepreneurial, and politically savvy
- College level education beyond the bachelor degree which is directly related to the position, or equivalent professional education/certification such as Senior Right of Way Agent (SR/WA) or American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE) designation
- Significant recent experience in performing duties directly related to the competencies of the position listed below
THE FOLLOWING COMPETENCIES ARE CRITICAL TO SUCCESS:
- Exercise sound managerial judgment with initiative and originality in the generation of new and revised solutions to complex real estate and asset development issues
- Build effective business relationships with tenants, real estate developers, consultants, and vendors
- Build and lead a team of high performance, forward focused, results and customer-oriented professionals
- Align team and individual goals to meet organization's objectives
- Empower staff and inspire creative approaches to doing business "smarter and faster"
- Evaluate effect of current and pending federal, state and local legislation, regulation, directives and policies as they relate to JWA real property, tenant and contractor insurance compliance, and purchasing functions
- Develop marketing plans to maximize business development potential
- Assess the Division's organizational structure to ensure efficient and effective operation, and to develop and implement successful, proactive workforce plans
- Collaborate with colleagues to align team/business unit with corporate strategies and objectives
- Conduct concession planning, research and evaluation; develop strategies and apply creative techniques to successfully acquire and retain Airport concessionaires
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of FAA regulations
- Evaluate contract effectiveness; identify problematic areas; recommend and implement solutions; monitor contract compliance
- Develop successful approaches to solicit for and evaluate technical and financial proposals from interested airport tenants and draft the competitive solicitation documents
- Read, understand, and apply complex and technical material including contracts, leases, cash-flow projections, title reports, deeds, and insurance requirements
- Monitor marketing trends in the industry to develop effective strategies and tools to remain competitive and develop creative economic development opportunities
- Advise and apply expert knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and techniques of public administration, real estate management, asset development, concession planning and business/enterprise development, procurement strategies, and risk management
- Monitor all tenants, contractors, and service provider's insurance compliance
- Represent the airport effectively and communicate articulately on variety of issues that may be confidential or sensitive in nature
- Present technical information and concepts clearly, convincingly and effectively, both orally and in writing, to diverse groups including the media
- Maintain cooperative relationships and deal tactfully and effectively with elected and appointed officials at the local, State and Federal levels including business executives, regulatory agencies, community groups, employees and the general public
- Communicate effectively to resolve issues and develop collaboration on all internal organizational levels and with a wide range of external constituents including business, community and airport customers
- Assess the Airport's operations through the eyes of the traveling public, local community, and airport tenants to anticipate and meet their needs
All applicants entering the competition must meet Orange County minimum requirements for Administrative Manager III. Please click here for this information.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The successful candidate must be able to clear background checks that include a Criminal History Records Check (CHRC) and a TSA Security Threat Assessment (STA) in order to be issued an Airport Access Badge. Possession of a valid California Class C, or higher, Drivers License by date of appointment and an Airport Driving Endorsement within 10 days of appointment is also required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Possess vision sufficient to read standard text and a computer monitor and to drive a vehicle; speak and hear well enough to communicate clearly and understandably in person to individuals and groups and over the telephone; possess body mobility to stand, sit, walk, stoop and bend routinely to perform daily tasks and to access a standard office environment; possess manual dexterity sufficient to use hands, arms and shoulders repetitively to operate a keyboard, utilize office equipment and to write and drive; use a County approved means of transportation.
MENTAL REQUIREMENTS : Possess the ability to independently reason logically to analyze data, reach conclusions and make recommendations; possess the ability to remain calm and appropriately focused in rapidly changing and difficult situations involving conflict, complex issues, controversy and diverse stakeholder groups and interests; possess the ability to deal calmly and effectively with emotional interactions.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Function effectively in a standard office environment.
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
John Wayne Airport Human Resource Services will screen all applications to identify the qualified candidates. Applications without a completed supplemental information form will be disqualified from further consideration. After screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. Candidates will be notified by email of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.
Application Appraisal: (Refer/Non-Refer)
Application materials will be rated by a panel of subject matter experts for those qualifications most needed to perform the duties of the job. The more qualified candidates will be referred to the next step in the selection process.
Qualification Appraisal/Oral Panel Interview: (Weighted 100%) Candidates will be interviewed and rated by a panel of subject matter experts. Each candidate's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the candidate's qualifications for the job. Candidate's responses to the structured questions should be thorough, detailed and complete.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.
ELIGIBLE LIST: After all procedures have been completed, John Wayne Airport Human Resource Services will establish an eligible list of qualified candidates. All candidates will be notified.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Resumes WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF AN ONLINE APPLICATION. Application information must be current, succinct and related to the requirements in this job announcement.
- E-mail is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure that your e-mail address is correcton your application. Use only one e-mail account.
- Your application should highlight all the areas in which you have developed expertise, matching your professional experience with the specific requirements listed as minimum qualifications and job-related competencies.
For information regarding this recruitment, contact Dori Edles (949) 252-5177 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click herefor Frequently Asked Questions.
Administration & Management|
Aviation & Harbor
3160 Airway Avenue|
City: Costa Mesa
Country: UNITED STATES
$92,227.20 to $161,969.60 Annually
Negotiable / DOQ
|Apply By Date:|