Examination Weight: Written Test . . .. . . . . . . . . . . 100%
The examination will consist entirely of a multiple-choice written test in which candidates may be examined for knowledge of: principles, operation, maintenance, repair, adjustment, and service of blowers, fans, pumps, and auxiliaries; methods of repair and overhaul of centrifuges, blowers, gas and air-compressor units, pumps, gear drivers, and boilers; methods, equipment, tools, and terminology of trades involved in mechanical repair work; safety principles and practices related to maintenance and repair of Wastewater Equipment; the ability to: read and follow blueprints, plans, and written instructions; troubleshoot mechanical problems and equipment; deal tactfully and effectively with others; and other necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Candidates will be notified later by mail of the date, time and location of the written test, which will be administered in a single half-day session in Los Angeles.
1. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if within the past 36 months they were convicted of a major moving violation, such as driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, and may be disqualified if there are three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents within the past 36 months.
2. Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
3. The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit at the rate of 0.25 of a point for each year of continuous classified City service, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open competitive candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
4. A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
5. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to file on a promotional basis.
6. Based on City policy, before being hired in one of these positions, you may be required to undergo a drug and alcohol screening test.
7. As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf
8. You may take this examination only once every 365 days during the administration of this examination. Your name may be removed from the open competitive list after one year.
9. Your rank on the eligible list may change as the scores of candidates from other administrations of this examination are merged onto one list.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN ON BOTH AN
INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.