Examination Weight: Written Test . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
The examination will consist of a multiple-choice written test in which candidates may be examined for knowledge of: operation of vehicles, including Motor Vehicle Code; problems in storm drains sufficient to correct them; operating fire hydrants, including attachment; safety principles, procedures and regulations, including Cal/OSHA regulations; safety and emergency equipment, including personal clothing requirements for specialized use for various jobs; traffic control requirements for safe work in streets; permits required for work on state highways and freeways; Equal Employment Opportunity regulations and principles; ability to work safely and effectively with hand, power and pneumatic tools and compressors; read and interpret written material, including street maps, computer-based Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and supervisors’ instructions; interact tactfully and effectively with coworkers, supervisors, and the public; and other necessary skills, knowledge and abilities.
1. This examination is based on a validation study, and as provided by Civil Service Commission Rule 4.20, the written test will not be subject to candidate inspection.
2. Based on the Federal Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1994, you may be required to undergo mandatory drug and alcohol testing prior to and during employment in this class.
3. As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at
4. Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
5. A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
6. In conjunction with Civil Service rules, applicants who are current eligible City employee or are on a reserve list will be considered Promotional candidates while all other applicants will be considered Open candidates.
7. The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit of 0.25 points per year of City service, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
8. You may take this test only once every 365 days during the administration of the examination.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN BOTH ON AN
INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
Class Code 4110 CONT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10-26-12