GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB
This is professional, skilled in manual work, growing and maintaining lawns, flowers, shrubs, trails and trees on all park property. Work involves planning and executing the beautification plans for the parks and includes landscaping projects performed within the framework of good horticultural practices and project or master landscaping plans. Employee works under the direction of Landscaping Crew Chief or Department Head designee.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Employee must have the ability to make appropriate decisions regarding diseased and dangerous trees, work outdoors in inclement weather, and deal effectively with the public.
- Performs a variety of seasonal duties, which may include mowing grass areas with commercial mowers; edging and trimming roadway medians, shoulders and along City sidewalks, landscaped areas; spreading grass seed, fertilizers, and straw; spraying chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides; laying sod, spreading mulch, building flower beds, pruning trees and shrubbery; cutting and removing dead or damaged trees and shrubbery; planting and maintaining flower beds and landscaped areas.
- Assists in creating bedding and landscape plans; determines planting scheme, selects and purchases plants, bulbs, purchases seeds; sows, transplants, waters, and fertilizes plants; maintains greenhouse, as needed; computes, orders, and independently makes substitutions for all required quantities of plants, seeds, and other materials and equipment required to perform the work.
- Assists in propagating and cultivates a wide variety of plants and performs a wide range of gardening work, such as fertilizing different varieties of plants using folia ge or root feeding and soil additive techniques; transplanting trees or plants considering factors such as soil conditions, soil erosion, angle of slope, proper drainage, and sufficient air for roots; pruning and trimming shrubs, trees, and other plants to remove defects and excess branches and to obtain a proper balance between roots and top growth; mows and trims lawns and lays mulch, as required.
- Assists in maintaining park trees
- Assists in selecting and plants trees and maintains maintenance records on all work as required by supervisor.
- Assists in performing safety checklists on all playground equipment and flooring within the entire park system. Follow National Playground Safety Institute (NSPI) standards.
- Performs general maintenance tasks necessary to keep machinery, equipment and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking fluid levels, replacing fluids, greasing equipment, washing/cleaning equipment, and cleaning shop/work areas
- Transports, loads and unloads various equipment and materials, which may include commercial mowers, weedeaters, chain saws, leaf blowers and other equipment used in completion of assigned tasks.
- Receives various forms, instructional materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
- Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, City officials, the public, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
Salary: $13.77 per hour
Deadline to apply: Open Until Filled
MINIMUM TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
High school diploma (or GED equivalent) required; supplemented by one (1) year previous experience and/or training involving groundskeeping, lawn maintenance and general construction work (or related); or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position. Must possess a valid state driver’s license. Required or must be willing to obtain a Tennessee Pesticide Applicators' Certification within 6-months.