|MOTOR EQUIPMENT OPERATOR 1|
|Organization: New Castle County|
JOB ID: 659
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs routine work in the operation of one or more types of automotive and motorized equipment and performs a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class is responsible for utilizing standard skills in the safe and efficient operation of motor vehicles and equipment, and performs manual tasks associated with construction and maintenance activities. This employee may service vehicles and make minor repairs. Assignments are outlined in detail by the supervisor and work is inspected periodically for safety and economy of operation. This employee may serve as a lead worker.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Drives and operates cars, vans, tank trucks, panel trucks, stake body trucks, pick-up trucks, dump trucks, and refuse trucks;
- Operates farm type tractors with grass-cutting and other common towed or pushed attachments;
- Drives vehicles and pulls trailers according to the Department of Transportation¿s Commercial Driver's License Class B (CDL-B) guidelines;
- Operates a snow plow for the removal of snow from roads, parks and other designated areas;
- Inspects, cleans, lubricates, changes oil, and makes minor repairs on equipment;
- Performs the tasks of a Maintenance and Construction Worker when not engaged as a driver or operator;
- Assists in loading or unloading materials and equipment transported by truck;
- As a trainee, operates heavy motorized equipment with supervised, on-the-job training;
- May direct Maintenance and Construction Workers in performing construction and maintenance tasks;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
Some knowledge and skill in the operation of trucks, farm tractors, and other automotive equipment in all types of weather conditions; good knowledge of traffic rules and regulations; ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment; ability to do heavy manual work of an unskilled or semiskilled nature; ability to follow directions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least one (1) year experience in the operation of automotive equipment such as a truck, farm tractor or other construction equipment, and possession of a high school diploma or GED; or an equivalent combination of experience, education or training directly related to the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a Class II County physical examination, background check, and periodic DOT physical examinations as mandated by the Department of Transportation. Possession of a valid Delaware commercial driver's license Class B (CDL-B) or its equivalent is also required. Endorsements to the CDL-B license regarding air brakes, tank vehicles, and hazardous materials may be required dependent upon the job duties and responsibilities of a particular position.
Please mention you learned of this employment opportunity on the Careers In Government website.
New Castle County
Office of Human Resources
New Castle County Government Center
87 Reads Way
New Castle, DE 19720-1648
In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts. New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MOTOR EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I
*STARTING SALARY: $14.26 per hour (Pay Grade 15H)
*MAXIMUM SALARY: $23.25 per hour
DATE ANNOUNCED: June 19, 2013
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES BY:
July 2, 2013
External candidates may submit online employment applications using the PeopleSoft e-Recruit System available at www.nccde.org/hr . Current New Castle County employees may submit online applications through Employee Self-Service.
*New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Kelly Tomczak Human Resources Administrator 302-395-5812
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
NCC Government Center|
87 Read's Way
City: New Castle
Country: UNITED STATES
| Trade and Technical|
$ 14.26 to $ 23.25 Hourly
|Apply By Date:|