TO QUALIFY FOR LATERAL ENTRY you must be currently employed by a California law enforcement agency for at least one year and have a POST Basic Certificate. FOR PRE-SERVICE ENTRY you must be enrolled in a POST Basic Academy or have obtained a POST Basic Academy Certificate within the last three years.
THE SELECTION PROCESS:
1. Application Review (Qualifying Only) The first part of the selection process is a complete review of each candidate’s application. Those who meet the necessary qualifications will be invited to the physical agility test. Applications may be rejected at this phase of the process.
2. Written Examination (Qualifying Only) The Written Examination consists of 100 multiple-choice questions based on general knowledge, reading comprehension, detail recognition, and logical number matching. (Pre-Service Candidates, Only)
3. Physical Agility Test (Qualifying Only) Candidates passing the application review will be invited to participate in a physical agility test which will assess each candidate’s ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
4. Structured Oral Interview (Weighed 100%) Candidates who successfully pass the physical agility test will be invited to a structured oral interview that will consist of a series of situational questions presented by a panel of qualified Police personnel. Candidates will be assessed on their oral communication, interpersonal and decision-making skills. A minimum score ofseventy percent (70%) must be achieved to be placed on the employment eligibility list. The top candidates from the eligibility list will be invited to enter into the background process.
5. Background Investigation A thorough investigation of personal history, including, but not limited to, work, education, military, Internal Affairs/Complaint History, and conviction/criminal history records will be performed. A polygraph examination will be conducted on all candidates entering the background process.
6. Medical Examination Prior to appointment, all candidates must successfully complete a required City-paid medical examination, drug screening and psychological evaluation.
TO APPLY: Must complete an official City application; resumes are accepted but not in lieu of the official city application. Applications will be accepted by the Police Personnel Section, located on the 2nd Floor of the City Hall building until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. This recruitment may close with or without further notice. Interested parties are encouraged to submit their application materials as soon as possible.
VETERANS CREDIT: Honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed Forces who receive a passing score on an open competitive exam shall receive five (5) additional points added to their final score. To claim preference points, qualifying applicants must submit their DD-214 with their applications materials.