Purpose of Job
Provides operational and engineering support to the Water Management Director in the assessment and design of proposed replacements for sewer and water projects, contract review, bonding, plan review and report preparation. In absence of the Water Management Director, supervises all divisions and departmental staff.
Essential Job Duties
- Assists the Water Management Department Director in planning, developing, implementing and overseeing the operation of all Water Management Department services and programs.
- Responds to requests from regulatory agencies.
- Assists the department director with the preparation of operating and capital investment budget.
- Assists in preparing and distributing information to elected officials, staff, and other departments as necessary for formulation of decisions.
- Supervises, trains and directs personnel, handling employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, and completing performance appraisals.
- Helps develop, implement and administer operating policies and procedures, and short and long range plans for the department.
- Works in collaboration with various committees of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen and Planning Commission in the development and execution of general policies and procedures for public works projects and infrastructure.
- Serves as the Departments point-of-contact for current development projects that includes managing, planning, and scheduling daily work assignments to ensure assignment completion and accuracy.
Water department operations
- Assures department’s compliance to all necessary State and federal regulations and laws, e.g. OSHA, TOSHA, and EPA.
- Works with the Assistant Director of Operations and Director to develop capital investment projects that support the continuous maintenance and operation of all department division systems and programs.
- Prepares and maintains annual reports, engineering studies, and data for the Water Treatment and Water Reclamation facilities and various water/sewer projects, as assigned.
Construction and planning
- Assists the department in the development of the annual Capital Investments Plan (CIP) for Water Management projects; coordinates Water Management projects with the Engineering Department.
- Assists in the development and assessment of infrastructure and policy strategies to provide cost effective plans for water supply and waste water management to meet the city’s future needs.
- Responsible for the development, management and implementation of long range plans for water supply and waste water improvements.
- Works closely with the Engineering Department in the development and management of sanitary sewer basin models as part of the Cities Capacity Assurance Program.
- Contribute to the long range planning of the City and participates in various task forces and committees.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through obtaining a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Engineering from four-year College or university, a Professional Engineering license in the State of Tennessee, plus six to eight years of municipal water/wastewater design and planning experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.