Purpose of Job
Under limited supervision, provides engineering support to the Director of Engineering in the planning, organizing and directing of department activities. Provides support in the collection and analysis of civil engineering data; is responsible for supervising staff members in reviewing engineering criteria for various types of plans and related administrative work. Responsibilities may include reviewing development plans for compliance to City specifications, functioning as a project manager for capital improvement projects and providing technical knowledge to City staff, elected officials and the general public.
Essential Job Duties
A. Performs supervisory duties
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates Engineering Department personnel, handling employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining and completing employee performance evaluations.
- Makes recommendations to the Director regarding personnel actions such as promotion and hiring.
B. Assists in Managing Engineering Department
- Provides key input for the departmental budget, forecasting funding for staff, equipment, materials, and supplies; submits budget recommendations and justifications; monitors expenditures against approved budget.
- Provides key input in the overall guidance and management for large, multi-faceted private and public construction projects involving plans development, review, scheduling, capital budgets, right-of-way acquisition, bidding and construction; assist in the review of contracts and contract documents prior to approval by the BOMA.
- Serves as the Engineering Department point-of-contact for current development projects that includes managing, planning, and scheduling daily work assignments to ensure assignment completion and accuracy.
- Supervises and coordinates reviews of development plans for sites, subdivisions, and City projects for compliance with applicable regulations; evaluates studies, reports, and comments concerning such plans; identifies required changes and prepares departmental responses to submitted plans in a timely manner.
C. Public Service
- Assist in the delivery of presentations and reports on consultant selection, scope of services, technical engineering reports, and project status updates to various groups including Capital Investment Committee, and BOMA.
- Works in collaboration with various committees of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen and Planning Commission in the development and execution of general policies and procedures for public works projects and infrastructure.
D. Strategic planning
Contributes to the long range planning of the City and participates in various task forces and committees.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through attainment of a Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university in civil engineering or related discipline, plus 8 to10 years of related experience and/or training including two years as a licensed Professional engineer; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Tennessee Professional Engineer License
TNEPSC Level 1
TNEPSC Level 2
Valid TN Driver Licenses
Deadline to apply: 10/21/2013