|GIS Analyst Senior|
|Organization: City of Franklin, Tennessee|
Purpose of Job
Contributes to the design, development, and maintenance of Geographic Information System (GIS) graphics and mapping applications. Generates graphics, maps, and statistical reports
Essential Job Duties
Coordinates GIS System Maintenance
- Supports information system contractors and staff members in GIS and data-integration activities.
- Designs, implements, maintains and organizes activities involving GIS spatial/attribute components for the department.
- Reviews and implements technology to ensure that the department meets its GIS, data warehousing and system goals.
- Coordinates and develops the accuracy, integrity, and structure of spatial/attribute data necessary to support GIS functions.
- Develops geoprocessing models and/or scripts to expedite routine GIS procedures.
- Makes budget recommendations for GIS operating and training expenses for hardware, software upgrades, and new purchases.
- May assist with coordinating with vendors for new programs, training, upgrades, and changes to GIS.
Maintains GIS related databases.
- Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and availability of GIS data.
- Coordinates developing new data bases and migrating existing data into a GIS format; researches legal documents to obtain data for input into GIS.
- Coordinates with appropriate departments to develop and maintain base maps; develops and perpetuates a shared, computerized database of maps and land-related information.
- Imports and converts, as necessary, CAD drawings prepared by others.
- Utilizes GIS to update utility maps, blueprints, plat books and related documents.
- Coordinates the use of GPS to create, maintain and verify map and GIS accuracy.
- Downloads field data into GIS system and reviews it for accuracy.
- May update street addresses from field survey; assists other departments, the public, 911, the telephone company, and the post office with correct addresses; notifies the appropriate persons and agencies of incorrect addresses; maintains records of assigned addresses.
Generates Maps, Graphics, and Reports
- Maintains the accuracy of GIS base maps; develops standard base maps for ready reproduction and distribution; creates PDF maps for viewing on the City’s website.
- May prepare sketches for the Franklin Municipal Planning Commission, the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, and the Franklin Board of Zoning appeals.
- May greet and assist the general public, contractors, developers, and engineers in search of GIS information.
- Prepares GIS based detailed maps, graphs, charts, records and reports; researches GIS data bases as requested to obtain and report information such as dimensions of parcels, right-of-way, and easements.
Provides GIS Technical Support to City Departments
- Provides technical assistance to GIS database users. Assists in training other employees in developing, utilizing, and applying GIS.
- Disseminates GIS data as necessary. Coordinates with other staff members, as necessary, pertaining to information system projects related to GIS.
- As requested, investigates the feasibility of implementing new technology or software to aid GIS users.
- Participates in committees concerned with specific data warehousing or GIS-related software issues, such as Law Enforcement Management or Fire Planning programs.
- Analyzes GIS data to assist in problem solving, including but not limited to the transportation network, 3D, spatial, and statistical analysis.
- Creates procedures and datasets for specific geographic analysis to be used as an aid in municipal decision making processes.
Contributes to computer network and applications development.
- Provides support to information systems staff in the analysis, design, and maintenance of LANs and WANs related to departmental GIS.
- Strives to effectively model the department’s business rules and processes into relational databases and integrated software applications.
Serves as Project Leader for assigned Projects
- Estimates materials and resources needed for projects.
- Facilitates team member involvement.
- Facilitates definition of GIS related user requirements
- Writes and review project specifications.
Serves as Liaison with External Agencies and Contractors
- May coordinate GIS sharing data with Williamson County, City of Brentwood, and State of Tennessee department information systems departments in the sharing of information to ensure continuity of digital submissions.
- May assist in coordinating the activities of outside engineers and private contractors.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through attainment of a Bachelor’s degree in engineering technology, geography, geoscience, computer science or information technology, plus a minimum of four years of GIS experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position. Proven competency in ESRI software-Arc/Info and ArcView is a must.
Please apply on line at www.franklintn.gov/jobs
Information, Technology & Communication Services|
City of Franklin HR Department|
109 3rd Ave South
Country: UNITED STATES
| Mid to Senior Level|
|Download Job Application|
$ 23.93 Bi-weekly
|Apply By Date:|
|Open until filled|