ELECTRICIANTHIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future Electrician vacancies. Although the current vacancies exist in OC Public Works and OC Sheriff's Department, this eligible list may also be used to fill vacancies in other County departments.CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT
This recruitment will remain open on a continuous basis until the needs of the County have been met. Please be advised this recruitment may close at 11:59 p.m. (P.S.T.) any day of the week and it is recommended that interested candidates apply immediately.OC PUBLIC WORKS
OC Public Works provides services on a regional basis to unincorporated areas, to cities, and to other County agencies and departments. The primary mission of the department is to protect and enrich the community through efficient delivery and maintenance of public works infrastructure, planning, and development services. OC Public Works core values are integrity, accountability, service and trust.
OC Public Works is a unique County department. The Executive Team is comprised of the Public Works Director and two Assistant Directors leading Customer Service and Engineering Service Branches. The team leads ten service areas: OC Development Services; OC Fleet Services; OC Administrative Services; OC Facilities Design & Construction; OC Facilities Maintenance & Central Utilities Facility; OC Infrastructure Programs; OC Construction; OC Operations & Maintenance; OC Survey; and OC Environmental Resources.
OC Public Works partners with a diverse array of local, state, and federal agencies; special districts and authorities; and the private development community including, construction, planning, and design firms, to accomplish many of the County's infrastructure projects.
Click here for more information about OC Public Works
Click here for more information about the County of OrangeTHE OPPORTUNITY
The Electrician performs journey level work in all aspects of installing, maintaining and repairing electrical wiring systems and equipment operating with voltage levels up to and including 4,160 volts.
The general duties of this position include:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCY
- Installing electrical conduits, fixtures, motors, switches and outlets according to approved codes
- Working from blueprints, schematic diagrams, sketches, oral and written instructions
- Testing established circuits for overload and determining circuit requirements for additional electrical equipment
- Testing circuitry and switches for failures or malfunctions, isolating problems, and replacing broken parts; making repairs on electrical circuits and equipment such as generators, fire alarms, heating and cooling equipment, commercial appliances, airport runway lighting systems, power control panels and distribution systems
- Estimating cost of electrical repair or installation
- Performing preventative maintenance on electrical equipment (including infrared technology and power quality monitoring)
- Performing minor construction or alterations on facilities in order to install or modify electrical systems and equipment
The ideal candidates will have at least four (4) years of extensive commercial/industrial electrical experience in the competency listed below :TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Inspect and diagnose malfunctions of electrical systems
- Understand State and local laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to all aspects of electrical wiring system and equipment installation and maintenance
- Plan tasks and estimate costs on all types of electrical wiring systems and equipment
- Effectively communicate and convey ideas to others orally and in writing
- Experience in reading and interpreting blueprints and schematic diagrams of circuitry
- Repaired, operated, serviced, maintained or installed electrical systems and associated mechanical equipment
- Performed preventative maintenance on electrical equipment
- Supervised helpers assigned to assist on various projects
- The principles and practices of installing, maintaining and repairing electrical systems
- Tools and equipment used in the electrical trade
- Education and experience in applying the National Electric Code (NEC)
- Familiarity with National Electrical Manufactures Association (NEMA) specifications and requirements as they relate to the repair and installation of wiring systems and equipment
Click here to view the complete classification description for Electrician.LICENSES
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS Physical Requirements
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher may be required by date of appointment.
- Possession of a California State Electrical License/Certificate is highly desirable.
Incumbents must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds with frequent lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 25 pounds; be confined to small spaces; climb ladders, scaffolding and poles; independent body mobility to stand, walk, crawl, stoop, bend, pull, or push; identify and distinguish colors; manual dexterity to keyboard; operate power tools or other machinery that may be potentially hazardous; pass an initial asbestos physical examination and subsequent periodic examination in order to be issued and utilize a respirator.Environmental Conditions
Work outside in all types of weather conditions and have occasional controlled contact with potentially harmful chemical or biological agents. Work around high voltage systems.
Incumbents may be assigned to work schedules that include weekends, evening shifts, or night shifts and may be assigned to work in a Correctional Facility. Night shift or evening shift differential is paid in addition to hourly salary listed. An employee who is regularly assigned to a Correctional Facility shall be paid an additional amount per hour for hours worked. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services screens all application materials for minimum qualifications. After screening, candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All candidates will be notified via email of their status in the process.Written Examination
| Multiple Choice
A written test consisting of job-related, multiple-choice questions will be administered. Candidates will be notified of their exam date and time. Only the most successful candidates will be referred to the Performance Exam.Performance Examination
| Skills Test
Candidates will be asked to demonstrate their ability to safely troubleshoot and repair a variety of electrical issues and to perform other job-related tasks. Only the highest scoring candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure. Completion of a background investigation to the satisfaction of the County may be required for some assignments.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATIONEmail
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.Questions?
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Arleen Berberoglu
at 714.667.9667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous