DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
TRANSFER OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
5050 Commerce Ave
Baldwin Park, CA 91706
Essential Job Functions
Position allocated to this class reports to the Chief Environmental Health Specialist of the Land Use Program, and performs a variety of duties including but not limited to:
- Reviews plans for installation or repair of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (OWTS), Conventional and Non-Conventional types for residential, commercial and industrial projects. This includes consultation, site evaluation and review of geology reports including percolation test, soil profile and groundwater data for determination of approval.
- Conducts complaint investigations related to OWTS/NOWTS, pumper trucks and portable toilets.
- Performs field inspections to assess feasibility of new land use proposals, parcel and tract maps, conditional use permits, zone changes, etc., for the Department of Regional Planning.
- Inspects sewage cleaning/carrying vehicles, chemical toilet rental agencies.
- Provides technical assistance to the public and members of OWTS industry.
- Implements departmental requirements in accordance with the State mandated OWTS Policy and/or Non-Conventional Onsite Wastewater Treatment (NOWTS) Ordinance (pending BOS approval) by performing the following:
- Conducting leak test and start-up inspections of supplemental treatment units of NOWTS.
- Reviewing covenant & agreements and contracts with service providers.
- Issuing operating permit for all NOWTS and conduct inspection of each site to ensure compliance with all applicable requirements (pending).
- Reviewing effluent sample analysis reports.
- Reviewing telemetry/monitoring reports submitted by service providers.
- Evaluating new NOWTS technologies during "Demonstration Phase" to determine Departmental acceptance of the proposed system.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Chief EHS or designee.
- A valid California Class C Driver's License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential job functions.
- May be required to lift and carry up to 25 pounds frequently. Must be able to write complete comprehensive inspection reports, bend, kneel, crawl, stoop, climb stairs/steps, sit, stand, walk, reach above shoulder, twist, grasp, push and pull, to carry out job-related essential job functions at various locations throughout Los Angeles County.
Requirements Must currently be a permanent Los Angeles County employee who holds the payroll title of Environmental Health Specialist III.
To be considered email the following information to
- Must be a self-starter.
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team-player.
- A positive attitude.
- Flexibility in handling work assignments.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of Public Health License/Permit procedures.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs).
Environmental Health - Administrative Liaison Unit Phone:
- Request for Lateral Transfer form
- Last two performance evaluations
- Prime Variance time history report for the last 24 months