Under general administrative direction of the County Controller-Treasurer, a Controller- Treasurer Division Manager plans, directs, and oversees the administration, operations and staff of assigned divisions or units within the Controller- Treasurer Department of the Finance Agency. This recruitment will be open until filled. This recruitment could close within 10 days of issuance, if necessary. You are encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible.
To apply for this exceptional opportunity, applicants must complete the online application and are advised to provide the following:
2. Letter of interest explaining why you are the ideal candidate, including specific examples from your experience.
3. Responses to the online supplemental questions.
This information is REQUIRED, as it will be used to initially determine minimum qualifications and will be critical in the subsequent competitive assessment to identify those candidates to be invited to the oral examination.
Applications submitted without these information will be considered incomplete. No paper applications will be accepted
. Applicants who are viewing this job announcement outside of our Santa Clara County website
should go to www.sccjobs.org to apply.
Computers are available at the County Government Center, 70 West Hedding Street, 8th Floor, East Wing, San Jose, CA 95110, during normal business hours, for applicants to apply online.
Questions regarding this recruitment may be directed to Diana Reynolds, Executive Services at (408) 299-5893
For the latest updates on our Executive Career Opportunities, follow us on:
Facebook I facebook.com/SCCExecRecruit
Twitter I @SCCExecRecruit
Typical Tasks Typical Management Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the work of assigned subordinate professional technical and support staff;
- Review and evaluate work products, methods, procedures and performances;
- Coordinate division activities with other divisions and/or departments within the Finance Agency;
- Manage several units within the Controller-Treasurer Department and ensure department objectives and goals are met;
- Administer the County banking and trustee services;
- Manage and participate in teh development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs;
- Recommend and administer policies and procedures;
- Administer and direct various consultant service contracts;
- Serve as the County contact with the public and other government agencies for debt administration and investments;
- Directs the operations of countywide financial systems;
- Provide responsible staff assistance to the Controller-Treasurer and the Finance Director;
- Selects, train, motivate, and evaluates assigned personnel;
- Provide and coordinate staff training;
- Analyzes new and revised statues and proposed legislation to determine affects on the department and/or the County;
- Provides advice, training and assistance to fiscal personnel in County departments, special districts, and schools;
- Ensures compliance of County accounting procedures and Government Accounting and Financial Reporting Principles (GAFRP);
- Meets with representatives of County agencies/department and external entities to discuss matters pertaining to procedure and areas of responsibility and jurisdiction;
- Participates as a member of the department executive team in the review and establishment of policies and procedures for carrying out the department's goals and objectives, and initiates changes in methods and procedures to improve service delivery;
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with County officials, agency/department heads; representatives from financial institutions, other government agencies, internal and external auditors, and staff;
- Prepares and/or directs the preparation of special financial reports and analysis of accounts;
- Coordinates division activities with other divisions and/or departments within the Finance Agency;
- Represents the Controller/Treasurer on matters related to Accounting, Payroll, Claims, Tax Apportionment and/or Internal Audit activities and issues;
- Prepares annual budget and monitors expenditures;
- Assumes disaster service worker responsibilities as required; and
- Performs related work as required.
Sufficient education and experience to demonstrate the ability to perform the management responsibilities and the attainment of the knowledge and abilities listed below.
The qualified candidate would typically possess education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Business or Public Administration or a related field and a minimum of five (5) years recent increasingly responsible professional experience in accounting or auditing, to include one (1) year experience managing and/or supervising an accounting or auditing function. A Master's Degree in Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting may be substituted for approximately one (1) year of professional accounting/auditing experience.Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of management necessary to plan, organize, direct, manage and evaluate programs, administrative policies, organizational structures and staff;
- The theory, principles and practices of accounting and auditing and their application to governmental accounting;
- Laws and regulations governing the financial operations of public agencies;
- Automated fiscal/financial information systems, applications and terminology;
- Principles and practices of supervision, personnel management, training;
- Budget preparation and monitoring principles and practices.
- Plan, organize, manage, coordinate and evaluate the functions and staff of a division responsible for performing complex accounting and/or auditing duties;
- Analyze and evaluate complex accounting, auditing and/or financial problems, records and reports;
- Prepare clear and concise reports;
- Analyze, interpret, apply and explain laws and regulations;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.