THIS IS A CITYWIDE EXAM
Online applications will be ACCEPTED ONLY from
10/26/2018 (8:00 a.m.) to 11/01/2018 (5:00 p.m.).
Announcement posted FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES
ONLY from08/09/2018 (8:00 a.m.) to 10/25/2018 (7:59 a.m.)
No applications will be accepted during this period.
The "apply" button will appear above once you are allowed to submit your application. Only one application per person will be accepted. Please read the How To Apply section below for instructions .
City and County of San Francisco custodial positions are located at: San Francisco International Airport, Administrative Services, City of San Francisco Community College, San Francisco Public Library, Municipal Transportation Agency, Public Utilities Commission, Recreation and Parks, Unified School District.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Applicants who previously applied for 2708 Custodian MUST REAPPLY in order to be considered for future vacancies.
Under supervision, the Custodian performs routine manual cleaning tasks in public buildings, schools, other facilities and surrounding areas. Examples of essential duties include but not limited to the following:
- Sweeps, scrubs, mops, spots andwaxes floors; vacuums and cleans rugs and carpets.
- Cleans, dusts andpolishes cabinets, furniture andwoodwork; empties and cleans waste receptacles and ashtrays.
- Cleans stairways andhallways; cleans and disinfects restrooms and replenishes supplies; may perform minor duties in unplugging sinks and toilets; cleans offices and lobbies; cleans ceilings, walls, window shades, light fixtures and venetian blinds.
- Assists in moving and arranging furniture and equipment.
- Turns out lights and locks doors and windows.
- Operates scrubbers, buffers, waxers and related electrical appliances and equipment; may tend simple, low pressure heating and ventilating systems; may check water levels in gauges and periodically perform routine servicing to boilers and pumps.
- In recreational areas, cleans auditoriums, gymnasiums, club houses and locker rooms; picks up papers and rubbish in play areas; hangs flags and decorations; reports evidences of vandalism, broken plumbing, windows, doors, locks, etc.
- May wash interior glass partitions and interior and exterior windows which can be easily reached from floor or ground level.
- As school custodian, may supervise and maintain order among students during recess periods; distributes milk or other refreshments to students; performs minor duties in repairing chairs, desks and toys.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Employees must be willing to work day, swing or graveyard shifts which may include weekends and holidays; use chemicals and cleaners; properly lift and move supplies, furniture, and/or equipment weighing up to 60 pounds with some exposure to accident and injury hazards and disagreeable elements; require sustained physical effort to perform job duties; climb a ladder to perform job duties; work in inclement weather conditions; may be required to wear a uniform; and will be required to participate in training courses.
Employees in some departments may be required to work in special events, under stressful conditions, cleaning sewage leaks, and holding cells. Minimum Qualifications
1. Six (6) months (equivalent to 1040 hours) verifiable paid full time custodial or janitorial experience at a commercial building such as an office building, warehouse, retail or wholesale store, or non-profit agency or a commercial facility (such as a university, hospital, stadium, auditorium, hotel/motel, etc.); OR
2. Certificate of Completion of a Custodial Training Program equivalent to those certified by the City and County of San Francisco Human Services Agency; OR
3. Verification of current enrollment in a Custodial Training course equivalent to those certified by the City and County of San Francisco Human Services Agency at the time of application. Note: Candidates who are enrolled in a custodial training course at the time of application must submit verification of having completed the course (e.g. copy of certificate of completion), prior to appointment. Candidates will remain under waiver until such time that verification is provided.
Recognized custodial training courses include, but not limited to, the following :
• City College of San Francisco Building Maintenance (Custodial Training)
• Community Housing Partnership, Property Management/ Maintenance Program
• Self Help for the Elderly, Housekeeping Program
• Goodwill Industries Community Jobs Program (CJP) in a Janitor work assignment
• Career Resources Development Center (CRDC) Maintrain Program
• Toolworks Janitorial Training
• JVS - Work Transforms Lives
• Airport Commission Special Conditions applicable to 2708 Custodian positions at San Francisco Airport Commission
1. Heavy equipment usage requirement:
Ability to learn to operate heavy custodial equipment including, but not limited to, ride-on auto scrubbers, walk-behind high speed burnishers, ride-on burnishers, truck mounted hot water pressure systems, ride-on sweeper/vacuum and articulating aerial lifts to perform custodial services. This special condition will be tested during the post-referral process.
2. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Security Clearance:
Candidates for employment with the San Francisco Airport Commission will be required to undergo a criminal history check, including FBI fingerprints, and threat Assessment in order to determine eligibility for security clearance and may be required to undergo drug/alcohol screening. Per Civil Service Commission Rule Section 110.9.1, every applicant for an examination must possess and maintain the qualifications required by law and by the examination announcement for the examination. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination from employment with the Airport Commission.
3. Customs Clearance:
This position requires that the incumbent be qualified for unescorted access to the San Francisco International Airport U.S. Customs Security Area. An application for a U.S. Customs Access Seal may be submitted to Customs ONLY after employment has commenced. Employment in this position requires that the incumbent submit an application form, successfully acquire and maintain a Customs Access Seal. Per Civil Service Commission Rule 110.9.1, every applicant must possess and maintain the qualifications required by law and by the examination announcement for this examination. Failure to acquire or maintain customs access, a requirement for this position, may be a basis for termination from employment with the Airport Commission. Custom Access Seal requirements and procedures are located in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 19, Part 122, Sections 181 or 189.
4. Medical Examination:
Prior to appointment, candidates must successfully pass a medical examination to determine his/her ability to perform the essential functions of the job and/or the ability to meet the physical minimum requirements.
Notes applicable to 2708 Custodian Positions in other City Departments
1. Compensation and benefits for positions at the San Francisco Unified School District and the San Francisco Community College may vary from those provided by the City and County of San Francisco.
2. Some positions may require possession of a California Driver's License (CDL) and access to a vehicle for work-related travel.
3. Some positions may require the ability to learn to operate heavy custodial equipment including, but not limited to, ride-on auto scrubbers, walk-behind high speed burnishers, ride-on burnishers, truck mounted hot water pressure systems, ride-on sweeper/vacuum and articulating aerial lifts to perform custodial services. This special condition will be tested during the post-referral process.
4. For Airport positions, you will be required to submit qualifying training, education and experience verification for the post referral process - prior to the Oral/Performance test selection process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found here
Note : Falsifying one's education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for these recruitments. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Falsifying one's education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted. How To Apply City and County of San Francisco employment applications must be filed ONLINE ONLY beginning Friday,October26 2018 (8:00 a.m.) through Thursday,November01 2018 (5:00 p.m.). Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. No other method will be accepted. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select "Apply" and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either "I am a New User" if you have not previously registered, or "I have Registered Previously"
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, and in the lobby of the Airport Human Resources office, 710 N. McDonnell Road, 3rd Floor, San Francisco.
You can also watchthis video
for further assistance with our online application system.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Aarti Lata, by telephone at (650) 821-2024, or by email at Aarti.Lata@flysfo.com
. Selection Procedures Supplemental Questionnaire
Applicants are required to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the application process. The purpose of the Supplemental Questionnaire is to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's education, experience and training in relation to the Minimum Qualifications for this position. It is essential that an applicant provides complete information in identifying their education, experience and training. The Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to evaluate if an applicant meets the minimum qualifications. Applicants must also complete the official application. The information in the Supplemental Questionnaire will not be scored and is collected for informational purposes only. The information provided may be utilized as part of the hiring process.
Information provided in supplemental questionnaire must be consistent with the information provided in application. Written Examination (Weight 100%)
Candidates deemed eligible and admitted to the examination process will be invited to the written examination. The written examination is designed to assess a candidate's knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas which may include but not be limited to: routine cleaning functions, deep cleaning functions, restroom cleaning, use of equipment, tools and supplies, safety and security procedures, customer service and human relations skills and ethics in cleaning.
This is a standardized examination and, therefore, test questions and test answers are not available for public inspection or review. Date(s) of Examination:
Those applicants meeting the Minimum Qualifications will be notified of the exact date, time and place to report to, to participate in the examination.Please note, the written multiple-choice exam is tentatively schedule to take between the month of November 2018 to January 2019.The exact dates and times of the written multiple choice exam have not been determined. Please plan to take the exam any day during that time frame, as alternate examination dates/times will only be considered in limited circumstances with appropriate documentation. Additionally, we will not be taking request for specific examination dates or appointment times.
Candidate Handbook/Practice Video: The following link to the Custodian or Porter Candidate Information page provides general information, a candidate handbook and a practice video to help candidates prepare for the examination. http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=374
Your written exam score will be "banked" for three years. During this three-year time period, you will not be required to re-take this test for another 2708 Custodian announcement. If another announcement is held within six months of the date of this examination, and it requires this written test, your score will be automatically applied to that announcement. However, after six months, you have the option to either (a) apply your test score to the other announcement or (b) re-take the test. Retesting is permitted no sooner than six months from the date of the examination and only in association with your eligibility for another announcement for which this test is used. Please note that, should you re-test, your re-test score would become your official score since it is the most recent.
Candidates who pass the Written Examination will be ranked on the Eligible List in score order.
Candidate scores on this examination may also be applied to other announcements involving other job titles, when directed by the Human Resources Director.
Note : Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process. Post Referral Process
Oral/Performance Test Selection Process (Weight: Pass/Fail): For custodian positions with the special condition requiring the ability to learn to operate heavy custodial equipment (this includes all 2708 positions at the San Francisco International Airport and potentially some 2708 in other City departments), candidates on the eligible list must also pass an oral/performance test designed to assess the ability to learn to operate large cleaning equipment used in institutional settings, including but not limited to, ride-on auto scrubbers, walk-behind high speed burnishers, ride-on burnishers, truck-mounted hot water pressure systems, ride-on sweeper/vacuum and articulating aerial lifts to perform custodial services.
The oral/performance test will be administered on a Pass/Fail basis. Candidates who pass the oral/performance test will be considered for employment by the San Francisco International Airport and potentially some 2708 in other City departments which have positions with the special condition requiring the ability to learn to operate heavy custodial equipment. Passing candidates will be considered for employment in accordance with their rank on the eligible list as well as the certification rule. Candidates who fail the oral/performance test will not be considered for positions with the special condition requiring the ability to learn to operate heavy custodial equipment for the entire duration of their eligibility on the eligible list. These candidates will however, remain eligible for consideration (in accordance with their rank on the eligible list as well as the certification rule) for 2708 positions which do not require special condition requiring the ability to learn to operate heavy custodial equipment. Conviction History
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
- Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. Disaster Service Workers
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency. Conclusion Resumes are NOT verification documents. Certification Rule
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Three (3) Scores. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions. Eligible List
The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be 9 months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director. Reasonable Accommodation Request
Applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation for this examination can find information on requesting a reasonable accommodation here
. Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams
Information regarding seniority credit can be found here
. Veterans Preference
Information regarding requests for veteran's preference can be found here
. Terms of the Announcement
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. (Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement may be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf
.) The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 S Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website here
. Copies of Application Documents
Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date. Right to Work
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States. General Information Concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures
Important employment information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained online here
or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Exam Type: Entrance
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID #:902690
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
For more information about benefits, please click here
Closing Date/Time: 10/25/2018 5:00:00 PM