Public Works - Engineering is seeking College Interns who are majoring in Civil Engineering to assist in various areas. This position requires current enrollment in junior or senior college level courses at an accredited college or university. College transcripts/proof of enrollment must be provided prior to appointment. The I deal Candidate
possesses effective communication and cooperative interpersonal skills, the ability to work well in a busy office environment where attention to detail is important, excellent customer service skills, and be available to work a minimum of 12 hours per week year round. This recruitment may close at any time, once the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received.This is Part Time, Non Permanent position.
Temporary/part-time employment does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS retired annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Assists supervisor and department staff members with a variety of support duties as assigned
- Assists in researching, compiling, and analyzing data
- Prepares and/or processes routine reports, correspondence and records
- Performs computer data entry to record and retrieve department information
- Interacts with interdepartmental staff and other agency representatives in obtaining or providing data
- Performs routine clerical tasks as needed; including copying and filing documents, collating materials, answering telephones, etc.
- Performs routine field reconnaissance and inspections as needed
- Picks up and delivers documents, materials, supplies, etc., as needed
- Prepare plans and drawings as directed by supervisor and department staff members
- Performs related duties as assigned
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments a needed.
Qualifications Knowledge of
: Business English, spelling and grammar; modern office practices, procedures and equipment; personal computer operations; Autocad; Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word and Excel; basic math principles; effective public relations/customer service principles, practices and techniques. Ability to
: Utilize general office equipment such as telephone, fax, printers, copiers, and computers; learn and apply City policies, procedures, rules and regulations; conduct basic research, research, compile and analyze data and prepare accurate reports and correspondence; reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations; maintain work effectiveness and meet deadlines with frequent changes in workload and the priority of assignments; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; provide quality customer service. Education
: High School Diploma (or GED) and current enrollment in junior or senior college level courses at an accredited college or university majoring in Civil Engineering. Experience
: General office, public contact, and/or government-related experience highly desirable. License:
Must possess a valid California Driver license and an acceptable driving record by time of appointment. Employees regularly assigned/required to drive a city or personal vehicle in the course and scope of work shall be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull Notice program due to the performance of field duties that may require operation of a City vehicle. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a drug screen, TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.