Hours worked per week may vary
This is an excellent part-time job opportunity for an individual to provide staff support and customer service to patrons of the City of Huntington Beach libraries in the Library Services Department. The ideal candidate must possess effective and cooperative communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to relate to a diverse group of people. This is a Non-Perm, Part-Time position.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 - June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties General/Overall:
Provides quality customer service to the public; interprets, explains and enforces library policies to the public; answers questions and assists patrons in person and over the phone; may perform other duties as assigned in more than one division. Public Services (Customer Service/ Circulation/ Children's):
- Work at a variety of service desks and public areas to welcome library users, answer questions and guide patrons of all ages in the use of library resources.
- Issue library cards, assist patrons with self checkout stations, handle cash and credit card transactions, and maintain borrower accounts.
- Assist patrons in using library computers, software and equipment, and educate patrons in the use of new technology.
Requires education, training, or experience equivalent to two years
directly related experience with demonstrated technical skills. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to a department interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.