Hours worked per week may vary
This is an excellent part-time job opportunity for an individual to provide staff support and customer service as a Librarian Substitute to patrons of the City of Huntington Beach libraries within the Library Services Department.
The Library Services Department
includes Administration, Facilities Rentals & Maintenance, Outreach & Training Services, Programs & Youth Services, Public & Information Services, and Technology & Collection Management.
The ideal candidate
must possess a Master's Degree in Library Science, effective and cooperative communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to relate to a diverse group of people. This recruitment may close at any time, and will close when the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received. This is a Non-Perm, Part-Time position.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 - June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Provides quality customer service.
- Assists customers in the use of online resources.
- Educates patrons in the use of library resources.
- Provides reference and reader's advisory service to the general public.
- Researches and answers questions from the public and assists them in the use of the library.
- Provides reference services utilizing online catalogs, Internet, online databases and ebooks.
- Provides bibliographic and computer instruction to customers.
- Works on projects as assigned.
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. The City at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Requires a Master's Degree in Library Science and some related experience. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
- An official City of Huntington Beach on-line job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to a department interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.