Recreation Leader II, Paratransit Driver Trainee (part-time, temp (Over)
Recreation Leader II, Paratransit Driver Trainee (part-time, temporary) $12.76 per hour Open Until Filled The Paratransit Program seeks part-time, temporary Paratransit Driver Trainees to learn how to transport seniors and disabled residents in the local area. After obtaining a Class B License, the Trainee will be considered for possible promotion into the Pleasanton Paratransit Driver classification. The program is based out of the Pleasanton Senior Center, 5353 Sunol Boulevard, Pleasanton. The POSITION: Under supervision of the Paratransit Supervisor, Paratransit Driver Trainees will undergo 16 hours of Class B driver training. Within 30 days after completion of training, applicants are expected to obtain their Class B driver's license. Pleasanton will provide a vehicle for use in the driver's license test. Upon successful completion of the Class B test, Trainees will be considered for possible promotion as Paratransit Drivers. Training will be scheduled when a sufficient number of applications are received. Training is expected to be held during workday evening or Saturday hours. Applicants that are successful in obtaining their Class B driver's license and are selected for promotion to Paratransit Driver are expected to:
• Work with senior citizens and/or disabled persons;
• Complete simple accounting tasks and record keeping;
• Understand Paratransit operations, emergency and safety protocols;
• Provide door-to-door assistance, which includes lifting/pushing wheelchair clients up ramps, and carrying passenger's packages and belongings. Familiarity with the Livermore/Amador Valley area is desirable. This is a part-time, temporary position. The selected employees cannot work more than 700 hours in a fiscal year. CPR and First Aid certification are preferred. A TB is required prior to starting employment with the City. The Selection Process: Applicants must submit a City application and current DMV driving record. The most qualified applicants will be invited for an interview. A reference check will be conducted prior to making an offer. Prior to starting employment, the selected applicants must provide a copy of a certificate showing that he/she has undergone and successfully cleared a tuberculosis test within the past two years, or undergo a tuberculosis test arranged by the City. Applicants will also be required to undergo and successfully pass a physical exam, and fingerprint check by the City prior to starting employment. As an interested applicant for the Paratransit Driver Trainee position (part -time temporary), please note the following procedures: A. Interested Candidates must submit the following:
• A copy of the current Class C California Driver's License
• City of Pleasanton employment application which is available at http://www.cityofpleasantonca.gov/gov/depts/hr/jobs/default.asp
• Current (within four (4) weeks) Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) driver record information form B. Applications will be screened for the following qualifications and abilities and those individuals that best qualify will be invited to an interview:
• Experience working with senior citizens and/or disabled persons.
• Ability to complete simple accounting tasks and record keeping.
• An understanding of Paratransit operations, emergency and safety Protocols.
• Ability to provide door-to- door assistance, which includes lifting/pushing wheelchair clients up ramps, and carrying passenger's packages and belongings.
• Knowledge of the Livermore /Amador Valley area. C. Those candidates that successfully complete the above tasks will be hired as a Recreation Leader, Step A and will then complete the following training:
• Participate in a pre-scheduled City of Pleasanton Class B Driver class comprised of six (6) hours of classroom instruction and ten (10) hours of behind-the-wheel training.
• Within four (4) weeks of completion of the driving class, obtain a Class B Driver license from DMV.
• Those candidates who successfully secure a Class B License will be added to an eligibility list for part time Pleasanton Paratransit Driver position openings. A candidate can remain on the eligibility list for no more than one (1) year.
• Candidates who are unsuccessful in securing a Class B License after the allotted four (4) week period will be terminated. If you have questions about this position, you may contact Rachel Prater, Recreation Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (925) 931-5374. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The Division: The Youth and Human Services Division includes early childhood education programs; Gingerbread Preschool; teen programs and activities; Recreation for Adults with Developmental Disabilities (RADD); Senior programs and Pleasanton Paratransit Services.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous