Placer County Transit (PCT) provides safe and direct means of transportation service for Auburn and South Placer residents and visitors. PCT is committed to providing comprehensive and reliable transit services to its passengers along with a comfortable and pleasant ride.
Placer County is comprised of over 1,400 square miles of beautiful and diverse geography, ranging from the residential and commercial areas of South Placer, westward through the historic foothill areas of Auburn, Foresthill and Colfax, and to the County's jewel of the North Lake Tahoe basin. Placer County is a great place to live, work, play and learn. For more information about Placer County, please visit www.placer.ca.gov THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED WILL BE SCREENED ON A BI-WEEKLY BASIS. POSITION INFORMATION
The transit yard is located in the foothill community of Auburn where drivers begin and end their day.
With routes connecting riders to Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln and the foothill areas of Auburn, and Colfax, PCT bus drivers are critical to ensuring a pleasant, safe and dependable transit service to our riders. For more information about PCT, including route maps, click HERE
This job posting will be updated regularly to reflect current Placer County Transit bus driver vacancies.
Current PCT Bus Driver Vacancies:
Several Extra Help / Temporary
• Eligible for transition to permanent assignments
This selection process includes an interview and a criminal background check. Candidates will then be required to pass a physical and a required DOT drug clearance.
Extra Help/Temporary positions are limited to 999 hours per fiscal year (960 CalPERS retired annuitants). DEFINITION
To operate and perform routine maintenance on a public transit vehicle in passenger service; to operate a public transit vehicle safely and legally; and to practice principles of good customer service.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is the entry level class in the Bus Driver series. This class is distinguished from the journey by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within this series. Employees at this level are not expected to perform with the same independence of direction and judgment on matters allocated to the journey level. Since this class is typically used as a training class, employees may have only limited or no directly related work experience. Employees work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives immediate supervision from the Transportation Supervisor and technical and functional supervision from a Senior Bus Driver.EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drive a bus or other transit vehicle in passenger service over designated routes in accordance with time schedules or dispatcher instructions.
- When assigned, transport passengers on field trips and to special events.
- Assist passengers in entering and leaving the vehicle, as necessary; load and secure wheelchairs.
- Assist passengers with schedule, route and direction information.
- When applicable, make sure safety belts are properly fastened.
- Observe behavior of passengers and maintain order as necessary.
- Render emergency aid to passengers, when necessary.
- Conduct safety inspections of transit vehicle prior to operation in accordance with Department of Motor Vehicles and other applicable standards.
- Perform minor maintenance, repair and cleaning work on transit vehicles; fuel vehicles and check fluids.
- Collect fares, sell tickets, count passengers and keep records of bus operation.
- Operate a two-way radio.
- Install and remove tire chains, when necessary.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other County employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
It is the responsibility of applicants to identify in their application materials how they meet the minimum qualifications listed below.Experience and Training:
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: No related experience is required.
Training: Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
License or Certificate:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIESKnowledge of:
- Possession of valid CPR and First Aid certificates is desirable.
- Possession of a valid Class C, and the ability to obtain a valid Commercial Class A or B, driver's license, or the equivalent, with passenger endorsement and no air brake restrictions as required by the position. Proof of adequate vehicle insurance and medical clearance may also be required.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a Verification of Transit Training (VTT) certificate issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles, or the equivalent training to operate a public transit vehicle in passenger service prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Principles of good customer service.
- Vehicle maintenance practices and techniques used in making minor repairs.
SELECTION PROCEDURE Training & Experience Rating (100%)
- Relate well to passengers and maintain order among passengers, when necessary.
- Act quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand bus driving activities and observe safety rules.
- Intermittently analyze driving conditions; identify safety hazards; and remember how to operate a bus.
- Intermittently sit while driving a bus; stand and walk while performing routine maintenance on a bus; regularly lift very heavy weight.
- Work with various cultural and ethnic groups in a tactful and effective manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
Based upon responses to the supplemental questionnaire, the applicant's education, training and experience will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the eligible list.CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
Prior to the date of hire, applicants must undergo a fingerprint test by the Department of Justice, pass a medical examination (which may include a drug screening and possibly a psychological evaluation), sign a constitutional oath and submit proof of U.S. citizenship or legal right to remain and work in the U.S. For some positions, applicants may also be required to submit proof of age, undergo a background investigation (which may include a voice stress analysis and/or a polygraph) and/or be bonded. Additionally, positions in law enforcement classifications, and those supporting law enforcement functions will be required to complete a conviction history questionnaire prior to or during the interview process. Applicants for positions with access to Medi-Cal billing software or who are licensed providers must clear the Federal Exclusion List, credentialing, and social security verification. Failure to clear these requirements may result in an employment offer being withdrawn. SUBSTITUTE LISTS
The eligible list(s) resulting from this recruitment may be certified as a substitute list for a substantially similar classification. For this purpose, a substantially similar classification is one at a lower level in the same classification (example: entry level vs. journey) and/or a similar classification (similar work performed, similar training and experience qualifications required). If you are contacted for an interview by a County department, you will be informed of the classification and other relevant information. If you choose not to interview for a substantially similar classification, you will remain on the eligible list for which you originally applied.EMPLOYEES OF OTHER PUBLIC AGENCIES
Placer County offers an expedited process for qualifying certain applicants for interviews. Candidates currently employed, or employed within the last year, by a public agency operating under a personnel civil service or merit system may be eligible to be placed on a Public Agency Eligible List and certified as eligible for appointment to a similar job assignment without going through the examination process. For more information on the Public Agency Eligible List, to download forms, or to apply, please click here
.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for your interest in employment with Placer County. Placer County is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active nondiscrimination program. It is the stated policy of Placer County that harassment, discrimination and retaliation are prohibited and that all employees, applicants, agents, contractors, and interns/volunteers shall receive equal consideration and treatment. All terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, transfer and promotion will be based on the qualifications of the individual for the positions being filled regardless of gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical disability (Including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics/information), age (40 or over), marital status, military and/or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Please contact the Human Resources Department at least 5 working days before a scheduled examination if you require accommodation in the examination process. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation.BENEFITS
The following information represents benefits currently available to permanent Placer County employees and may be subject to change. It is advisable that applicants inquire as to the most current benefit package during hiring interviews or by contacting the Human Resources Department.Click here to view benefits for General bargaining unit
Closing Date/Time: Continuous