Are you a dedicated and motivated Dental Assistant
who enjoys being part of a team of professionals who provide exceptional dental care to the community and patients in need? Do you thrive in a fast-paced, challenging environment where the rewards are many? If so, then the San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) Dental Clinics have an exciting career opportunity for you!
The San Mateo Medical Center operates five dental clinics located in San Mateo, Redwood City, Daly City, Half Moon Bay, and a Mobile Dental Clinic. These clinics treat children and adults, homeless and transitional populations, and patients with HIVdiagnosis. Pregnant women on Medi-Cal can also obtain dental services in these clinics covered by the Ryan White grant.
All Clinics are open Monday through Friday, 8AMto 5 PM and some Saturdays and evenings. The Fair Oaks Health Center in Redwood City is staffed with an oral surgeon and pedodontist, and the San Mateo Clinic is staffed with an oral surgeon. The Fair Oaks Health Center and the Mobile Dental Clinic host dental students from the University of the Pacific and University of San Francisco to aid in patient care.
The Dental Assistant Series levels include:Dental Assistant I ($21.59 - $26.99Hourly)
is the experienced level class in the Dental Assistant series, competent to independently perform the full range of journey-level dental assisting work under the supervision of a dentist. This class is flexibly staffed with the II level and incumbents may advance to the higher level after obtaining required certification and demonstrating the required proficiency for the II level.Dental Assistant II/Registered Dental Assistant($25.52 - $31.90 Hourly)
is the advanced journey-level classification in the series. Under the supervision of a dentist, incumbents at this level perform dental assisting duties which are limited to a person certified as a Registered Dental Assistant in addition to performing Dental Assistant duties of the lower.The ideal candidate will:
- be a team player, self-starter, and multi-tasker;
- be capable of scheduling appointments and processing insurance claims, and have pedodontia experience;
- possess good organizational skills.
We are seeking Dental Assistants who are motivated and demonstrate the willingness to learn and adapt to new situations. Dental Assistants rotate and should be available to work at any of our dental clinics. Transportation to each work site is the employee's responsibility.NOTE:
This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis.Some extra help positions are eligible for benefitsundertheAffordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.NOTE:
The eligible listgenerated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified,and regular classifiedvacancies.
Examples Of Duties
As an SMMCDental Assistant, you will:
- Prepare patients for dental treatment;
- Assist the dentist at chairside;
- Mix cements, work with composite, amalgam and impression materials;
- Respond to the oral hygiene needs of a low-income population;
- Takedigital x-rays;
- Respond to patient emergencies;
- Maintain office and equipment in a sanitary and orderly condition;
- Enterinformation into patient's electronic record;
- Triage drop-in patients;
- Gather and complete necessary insurance information and forms.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Preparation of patients for examination.
- Methods of use, care and sterilization of instruments and equipment.
- Dental hygiene instruction and prophylaxis or coronal polish (for RDA level)
- Dental X-ray techniques and safety procedures.
- Dental terminology.
- Office procedures and record keeping.
Education and Experience:
- Take, develop and evaluate dental X-rays.
- Work tactfully with patients and other personnel under stressful conditions.
- Respond appropriately to patient emergencies during treatment or surgery.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is completion of a course of instruction for dental assistants.Licensure/Certification:
- Possession of a Certificate of examination for radiation safety from the California Board of Dental Examiners.
- Possession of a Certificate of completion for a course in Basic Life Support as approved by the American Red Cross or American Heart Association.
- To qualify for the II-Level, possession of a valid California License as Registered Dental Assistant issued by the California Board of Dental Examiners.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition toour regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations, or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.IMPORTANT
:Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the"Apply Online"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttp://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply.Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Wendy Young(09262018) (Dental Assistant I/II - F039/F063)