Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on June 20, 2017 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The County of San Mateo Health System's Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Division
is seeking well-qualified individuals for the position of Psychiatric Social Worker II /Marriage & Family Therapist II - Call Center.
One position is for a BilingualSpanish Required Clinician
and one is for a Spanish Speaking PreferredClinician
, to provide telephone screening of individuals requesting referrals for Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drug services.TheseClinicians will answer live telephone calls; screen callers for insurance coverage and level of care for mental health and substance use treatment services; provide community resources and referrals; and determine appropriate referral disposition within Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS).
The current vacancies are for two full- time PSW/MFT Clinicians,in the Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Access Call Center located in Belmont, CA, with a schedule of Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., with some flexibility. One must be bilingual Spanish.
as a Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) orMarriage and Family Therapist (MFT) isrequired
for these positions.NOTE
:These positions do not provide hours towards licensure forLCSWor MFT.The BHRS Access Call Center
is the point of entry for all individuals requesting referrals to Mental Health and/or Alcohol and Other Drug services within San Mateo County.The Clinician's primary responsibilities will include:
- Screening and triage for serious mental illness in adults; serious emotional disturbance in youth; mild to moderate versus severe mental health issues.
- Determination of appropriate level of treatment referralsfor substance use issues.
- Assessing callers for danger to self or others and collaboration with community providers and/or emergency services to initiate welfare checks of individuals at-risk in the community.
- Telephone assistance for callersin crisis; assessing for risk and safety and linkage to appropriate services.
- Referring callers to appropriate providers for treatment services.
- Providing excellent customer service to callers regarding mental health and alcohol and other drugs resources and referrals.
The ideal candidate
- Experience conducting telephone screening, triage, and referral for individuals with mental illness and/or substance use disorders seeking treatment services.
- Ability to efficiently conduct screening by telephone in order to assess needs and make referrals in a timely manner.
- Ability to evaluate the degree of behavioral health issuesor emotional distress of callers.
- Ability to screen calls and provide consultation with community agencies, treatment providers and other community organizationsregarding issues affecting adults, children or adolescents with mental illness and/or alcohol and other drug issues ranging from mild to moderate to serious.
- Ability towork collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary system of care.
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service to all callers; especiallycallersthat may be in crisis or suicidal.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage and benefits within San Mateo County including Medi-Cal, Medicare, Care Advantage, Healthy Kids, and Health Worx.
- Knowledge of Avatar Electronic Health Record system; and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in Spanish is required for one of the positions.
The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Some positions requirefluency in Spanish.Education and Experience:
- PSW-II-current California license as a Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
- MFT II-current California license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT).
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
Master's degree in Social Work, Social Welfare or a closely related field.Knowledge of:
- Current philosophy, principles, and practices for services to clients with serious mental illness.
- Individual, group and family psychodynamics as they relate to adults or children.
- Psychological diagnostic methods and terminology.
- Personality development from infancy through adulthood.
- Human and health services systems in the County including private agencies and other community resources.
- Provide treatment to adults, children or adolescents with various mental disabilities ranging from serious mental illness to dysfunctional behavior patterns, including victims of sexual or physical abuse.
- Set realistic treatment goals and facilitate their attainment.
- Evaluate the degree of mental disability or emotional distress of patients/clients.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Provide consultation and technical assistance to agencies, schools and other organizations.
- Work collectively within a multi-disciplinary team.
Application/Examination Open and Promotional:
Anyone may apply. Current San Mateo County and San Mateo County Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.Anyone may apply.
A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form .
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions.Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview(weight: 100%).] Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: CONTINUOUS
First Round Application Screening: June 27, 2017
First Round Combined Panel/Department Interview: July 6, 2017San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
HRContact: Carolyn Burns(060517) (Marriage & Family Therapist- G120/G040/G035/G121)