This is a Part Time, Non Permanent Position.
The Fiscal Services Division of the Finance Department
is seeking a Department Assistant. This position will assist with customer service in a variety of duties and requires extensive public contact and payment processing in a high-paced front counter setting. The ideal candidate
possesses effective and cooperative communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to work well in a busy office environment where attention to detail is important, and excellent customer service skills. Note:
This recruitment may close at any time, and will close when the hiring manager determines that enough qualified applications have been received.
Temporary/part-time employment is restricted to 1,000 hours within a 12-month period (July 1 - June 30) and does not qualify to receive City benefits, except those required by law. The City does not belong to the Social Security system. However, enrollment in an alternative retirement program is mandatory which requires an employee contribution of 7½% of base earnings to the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). There are no rights to employment and employment may end with or without cause or advance notice. Further restrictions apply to CalPERS Retired Annuitants.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Assists with inputting data into computer software
- Assists in compiling and analyzing data
- Prepares and/or processes clear & concise reports, correspondence and records
- Interacts with interdepartmental staff, customers, and other agency representatives in obtaining or providing data and/or explaining departmental policies
- Performs routine clerical tasks as needed, including copying and filing documents, collating materials
- Performs related support duties as assigned.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. The City, at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments a needed.
Typical Qualifications Knowledge of
: Business English, spelling and grammar; modern office practices, procedures and equipment; personal computer operations; basic math principles; effective public relations/customer service principles, practices and techniques. Ability to
: Utilize general office equipment such as telephone, fax, printers, copiers, and computers; learn and apply City policies, procedures, rules and regulations; conduct basic research; compile and analyze data and prepare accurate reports and correspondence; reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations; maintain work effectiveness and meet deadlines with frequent changes in workload and the priority of assignments; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; provide quality customer service. Education & Experience
: A High School diploma or an equivalent, and at least three (3) years of related skilled experience. General office, public contact, and government-related experience highly desirable. APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please Note: Our primary means of communication with applicants is sent via email; therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety.
- Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
- Applicants best meeting the City's needs will be invited to an oral interview.
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results.
- Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
Physical Tasks & Environmental Conditions SPECIAL CONDITIONS Public Employee Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, all Huntington Beach city employees are required to perform assigned disaster service worker duties in the event of an emergency or a disaster.