Become a part of the Kitsap County Team!
Do what you love, while serving the citizens where you live.
Information Services is the central information technologyhub for Kitsap County, located in the County Courthouse. The group provides technology infrastructure, development, support and network solutions to all County departments and some other local government entities.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Network Engineer to join our team. The incumbent will provide engineering support, primarily in a Microsoft Windows, Cisco, and Check Point Security environment. This position is the technical IT contact for all CJI audits for the County, and supports network infrastructure in a complex LAN/WAN environment.
The ideal candidate will be highly technically skilled, with the ability to operate independently while exercising considerable judgment within departmental policies. Must have thorough knowledge ofnetwork infrastructure,protocol analyzers, and expert level knowledge of Ethernet, TCP/IP, Cisco routers and switches, and current networking protocols and topologies with MS Enterprise System Suite.QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Mathematics, or closely related field.
- Four years of progressively responsible experience in the design and engineering of enterprisenetwork environments
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or equivalent competency/training is preferred. Must obtain CCNP within 6 months of hire.
- Checkpoint Firewall Administrator (CCSA) or equivalent competency,SANS Security Training, andEthical Hacker Training are preferred
- Any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the applicant with the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the work.
Must have enterprise level experienceconfiguring and deploying Cisco core switches and routers, administrating local and wide area networks; configuring network encryption; creating and configuring VLANs; andcreating VPNs.Experience conforming to CJIS policies is preferred. Driving Requirements
Criminal Conviction Standards:
- The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position. The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as:
- Category 2: Driver operates a personal vehicle as an essential function for official County business. Any employee using a personal vehicle on official County business shall be required to maintain auto liability insurance, in addition to having a valid driver's license.
- The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised accessto a secured/confidential facility or computer system(s). As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, whichwill include fingerprinting.
Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- The duties in this position are performed primarilyin an office setting. Travel may be required to work at remote County sites.
In this role, you will have opportunity to:
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Maintain and support a fleet of data network switches - routers, firewalls, and other security edge appliance equipment.
- Accomplish version upgrades and security patches, maintain and support local and wide area (LAN/WAN) regional network, to include Internet (ISP) and Inter-Governmental to State (IGN) redundancy and alternate path routing.
- Provide third-tier support to Network Administrator, I/S Customer Service Technicians, and Programmer/Analysts to assist in their support of County staff, cities, junior districts, health districts, fire districts, and law enforcement agencies.
- Evaluate new platforms and technologies as they relate to the county's technological and budgetary requirements.
- Collect, analyze, and report on operational and performance data for use in maintenance, tuning,and capacity planning.
- Provide disaster recovery support for the county data network.
- Develop and maintain appropriatenetwork documentation.
- Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Covered under a collective bargaining agreement. Internal applicants should be aware that a change in union status or bargaining unit may impact your benefits and accruals. Please contact Human Resources if you have questions.
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
- Work hours for this position are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Flexible hours are available, as approved by management.
- This position is open until filled. It will be screened weekly, with the first screening the week of 2/18/19.
- Posting modified on 2/15/19 to remove the sentence "supports software using MS Active Director, MS Exchange, and VMWare virtual services" from the summary of the position.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous