The purpose of this position is to maintain the City's utilities.This is accomplished by replacing and installing water meters for residential, commercial, apartment and industrial customers.Other duties include replacing meter boxes; repairing leaks; replacing cutoff valves and water meter registers; operating various equipment such as torches, leak detectors, pumps, metal detectors; and interacting with other City employees and the general public.Essential Job Functions
- Installs and replaces water meters by digging around the existing meter box to remove it without damaging lines; inspecting for broken rim or cracks; using various tools to clear an area to install the meter box; removing any water to prepare an area for installation; verifying proper line depth and leaks; replacing dirt and following up to ensure customers are satisfied.
- Monitors and responds to meter leaks by using a leak detector tool; dipping or pumping the meter box; digging around and below the valves and determining the City or customer's loss.
- Replaces valves by removing the meter box; digging away from the valve; pulling the valve off the box; handling high pressure water valves; and determining whether or not to extend lines.
- Performs other tasks by operating computers; reading meters in all weather conditions and lifting heavy pumps.
- Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes.Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency. Over one year up to and including two years of experience.
- Valid TexasClass C Driver's License
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses.Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Receives direction: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers or temporary employees.
- Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures.Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
- Discussion Occasional:20% or less of work time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous