Requisition Number: 51633
Department: Transportation Public Works
Do you know someone who is ready to play a key role as a leader in a growing and vibrant organization? The City of Fort Worth Transportation and Public Works Department's Transportation Management Division has an outstanding opportunity for an ambitious professional who is passionate about multimodal transportation engineering, Complete Streets and active transportation and who can excel in a team environment! We are seeking a highly qualified professional to serve in a key leadership role as Chief Transportation Engineer/City Traffic Engineer. This position is responsible for building leaders and working across the organization to drive innovation and develop best practices and standards for transportation operations. Transportation operations programs include streetlights, signs, pavement markings, traffic signals, parking, neighborhood and school safety, railroads and sidewalks.
This position reports to the Transportation and Public Works Assistant Director. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing a team of very capable and enthusiastic Engineering Managers, responsible for transportation program planning, transportation engineering and project management teams, throughout our rapidly growing City.
As a key leader for the Department, the Chief Transportation Engineer/City Traffic Engineer position will work with other key leaders in the City and serves the organization through representing the City's core values as they focus on implementing projects and technical best practices for the City's transportation programs. City Traffic Engineer Responsibilities include:
- Transportation Mobility initiatives - expanding modal options for pedestrians, bicyclists and public transportation, complete street program, and Safe Route to School program; Smart City Transportation Initiatives
- Traffic Services - installation and maintenance of all traffic control devices, including operations and maintenance of traffic signals, street lights, signs & markings, school flashers, ITS deployment, and the City's Traffic Management Center
- Traffic Safety Engineering Studies, Neighborhood Traffic Management Programs
- Interagency and Interdepartmental Coordination
Preferred candidates will possess the following:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in project / program management, engineering, landscape architecture, planning, public administration, business administration, or a related field.
- Five (5) years of increasingly responsible administrative experience preferably within a local government environment.
- Possession of registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Texas. If licensed in another state, continued employment will be contingent upon obtaining registration as a Professional Engineer within the State of Texas within six months of employment.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid Texas Driver's License.
- Instilling a strong organizational customer-service ethic
- Ability to oversee and participate in the development of division budgets to coincide with scheduled programs/projects
- Ability to understand and provide valuable input on matters relating to street lights, traffic signals, signs, pavement markings, and parking operations
- Ability to efficiently distill complex process and technical matters, articulate the issues clearly and concisely with key stakeholders, and successfully lead efforts to develop effective and actionable plans
- Ability to professionally present information to diverse, public audience of customers and stakeholders
- Ability to develop and delivering presentations to elected officials and governing bodies
- Ability to perform complex management, administrative, and fiscal functions such as developing short & long-range maintenance related plans
- Proven successful experience interacting with senior leaders and stakeholders on high visibility and sensitive challenges to develop mutually acceptable solutions
- Proven successful experience with Traffic Safety Engineering Studies, Neighborhood Traffic Management Programs
- More than 10 years of experience managing capital and/or maintenance programs and diverse operational teams including management and leadership responsibility
- Knowledge of Microsoft software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Closing Date/Time: 4/8/19