About Our Job
This posting will accept applications until March 22nd. Please apply as soon as possible.
About Public Works
The Department of Public Works delivers services that help to define and improve the quality of life in Denver. Denver Public Works is responsible for road maintenance and repair; residential trash, recycling and compost collection; design and construction of streets, bridges, public buildings, and storm and sanitary sewers; transportation and parking services; oversight and regulation of use of the public right-of-way; and implementation of the Public Works Environmental Management System (EMS). For more information, please visit the Public Works website at http://www.denvergov.org/dpw
About Transportation & Mobility
Denver Public Works Transportation & Mobility is committed to a bold vision where all people regardless of age, income, or mode of transportation can safely and easily move around our City to access the places they want to go. With an ever-increasing population and new demands on our finite transportation network, we work to build and maintain the infrastructure necessary to support this vision. This requires a multi-faceted approach, which we address through robust annual programs and special projects that improve complex bicycle, pedestrian, parking, and signal systems. Join us in creating a safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation system that can provide people with more choices and the freedom to get around town on the travel modes that meet their day-to-day needs.
The Department of Public Works is seeking determined and hardworking individuals to serve as a Traffic Operations Technician II on the Traffic Operations team within the Transportation & Mobility division.
The Traffic Operations team is responsible for the operation, maintenance, installation and emergency repair of traffic control devices. They maintain a fiber optic communication network providing services to the Department of Public Works, Information Technology Division and Denver Police Department. They also operate the Transportation Management Center and are responsible for signals, electronics repair, utility locates, sign installation, sign manufacturing and pavement markings.
Both positions are housed on the Roslyn Campus, located at 5440 Rosalyn St, Denver, CO, 80216.
Generally, the Traffic Operations Technician II:
- Performs work in the installation, construction, maintenance, and repair of traffic control signs and pavement markings.
- Removes damaged or old signs and sign posts, breaks up concrete bases, prepares and pours concrete, cuts metal poles and bases, and installs new posts and signs.
- Ensures that street signs are adequately visible, which includes trimming trees and bushes.
- Performs various tasks associated with street pavement marking projects, which includes: measures, lays out, stencils, stripes, paints, and maintains lane lines, center lines, crosswalks, turn arrows, stop bars, railroad/light rail crossings, parking stalls, curbs, airfield marking, and other pavement markings.
- Removes conflicting markings with grinder or road milling equipment.
- Operates street striping truck and equipment, which includes: fills tanks with paint and reflector beads, ensures adherence to guidelines and standards governing placement of street markings, programs spray guns, and operates gauges and paint pumps, and uses optical pointer to ensure line accuracy.
- Operates a variety of equipment used in the installation and maintenance of traffic control markings, to include but not limited to: paint stripers, paint mixers, paint guns, line removers, forklifts, compressors, drill presses, post pounders, post pullers, grinders, and augers.
- Operates vehicles and performs pre-trip inspection to ensure proper functioning, which includes checking fluid levels, observing leaks, monitoring condition of hoses and belts, checking tire pressure, ensuring brake lights and lights work, and performs other related inspections.
- Operates equipment and uses tools, to ensure that they are secure, clean, and in proper working order, which includes maintenance and repair.
- May assist in the design, fabrication, and construction of traffic signs and other signs as designated by the unit through the use of computers and other graphics equipment.
- Observes all common safety practices associated with tools and equipment, monitoring work environment for safety and hazards, and ensures safety for self and others.
- Places and removes barricades, cones, and other traffic control and safety devices in and around work areas for construction and maintenance projects in accordance with traffic regulation requirements.
- May log, record, and create daily work reports for management.
- Trains lower level employees in the operation of street signs and pavement markings, and the use of related equipment.
- Performs seasonal street or airfield maintenance duties such as snow plowing, salting and sanding, removing snow and ice from sidewalks, steps, seats, ramps, and parking lots, and hauls ice and snow away by truck.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- IMSA Signs and Markings Level 2 Certification at time of application.
- Experience operating roadway striping equipment.
- Experience operating aerial bucket truck.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of traffic signs and markings experience.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: This job requires driving. Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application.
- IMSA (International Municipal Signal Association) Signs & Markings Level I Certification is required at the time of application.
NOTE: To be considered for this position, you must include a copy of your current IMSA Certification. Upload the attachment(s) in the required attachment section. If you do not attach your certification, you will not be considered for this position.About Everything Else
CJ2864 Traffic Operations Technician II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Pay Range $19.21 - $28.05
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here