Salary: $27,465-$37,765 DOE
GILA COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
1400 E. ASH STREET, GLOBE, AZ 85501
POSTED: MARCH 12, 2019 CLOSING DATE: APRIL 2, 2019
PURPOSE OF THE JOB The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of semi-skilled work involving mechanical, electrical, carpentry, and plumbing related to remodeling, maintenance, and repair of County buildings, building equipment and systems; assures compliance with applicable State and Local building and safety codes and standards. Also maintains landscaping.
This position does not supervise other employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs building maintenance and minor remodeling tasks including electrical, plumbing, carpentry, drywall, plastering, masonry, roofing, insulation and painting. 20%
• Performs regular preventative maintenance on County buildings and grounds including painting, sealing, and lube/oil of mechanisms and machinery; makes interior repairs that include installing and replacing locks, repairing faucets and toilets, clearing clogged drains and sewer lines.
• Makes exterior repairs including patching roofs/walls/ceilings, weatherproofing, repairing steps, concrete walkways, railing and fences. 10%
• Provides assistance to County departments regarding special projects including storing files, removing old equipment and repairing items not assigned to Facilities and Land Management. 10%
• May assist with the preventative maintenance and repair of HVAC systems, electrical installations and plumbing systems. 10%
• Assists with remodeling activities including major modifications of County buildings and structures; may coordinate the work activities of inmate trustees. 10%
• Completes required building maintenance documentation and reports including maintaining records of materials and equipment used; assists with paper recycling activities. 10%
• Utilizes hand tools, small equipment, ladders and mechanical equipment to complete assignments; uses proper safety methods, procedures and follows safety practices in all work performed. 10%
• Performs and coordinates landscaping activities. 10%
• Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no responsibility over any types of budget.
This position does not have PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES.
ORAL COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position explains County procedures or processes and responds to public inquiries.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION DUTIES
This position creates or edits documents, internal memos, emails and reports.
INTERACTIONS WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC
Interacts regularly with internal coworkers and other departmental personnel over the telephhone, by email, and/or in person. Incidental contact with the public may occur as part of the work location.
INTERACTIONS SPECIFICALLY WITH CUSTOMERS
Frequently (More than 25% but less than 40% in a year).
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
High School Diploma or GED
Public Works Facilities
Building Maintenance Technician
MINIMUM YEARS OF DIRECTLY RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Two (2) years building or grounds maintenance experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS REQUIRED
Ability to obtain Department of Corrections Clearance if assigned to supervise inmate worker activities.
Customer and personal service, electrical systems, mechanical (e.g., machines and tools), building and construction, maintenance and maintenance procedures, use of carpentry tools, paints and chemicals. Principles and practices of building maintenance; regulations pertaining to the operation and maintenance of public buildings; processes for coordinating building maintenance projects; equipment and tools used in the repair, maintenance and construction of buildings; safety precautions and practices relevant to the operation of maintenance/construction tools and equipment; general supervisory principles, practices and methods.
Apply technical knowledge of building trades work and using sound methods to determine maintenance and repair practices; safe operation of various hand and power tools and equipment; reading, interpreting, understanding and applying building standards and procedures, applicable Federal rules and regulations and County policies and procedures; reading and interpreting drawings, plans and specifications; effective verbal and written communication; establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers and contractors.
Perform tasks with arm-hand steadiness, maintain hand, eye coordination, react in a calm and timely manner and follow orders. Coordinate building maintenance activities; maintain, remodel and repair County buildings and grounds; coordinate maintenance projects; inspect facilities and determine repair requirements; prepare and maintain building maintenance records and documentation; perform a full range of skilled building maintenance functions; safely operate maintenance/construction tools and equipment; communicate effectively and provide verbal/written instructions; supervise the work activities of assigned personnel.
• Occasionally stands to attend to customers; regularly stands to perform custodian and maintenance work.
• May be required to lift work related materials, equipment and tools up to 100 lbs.
• Routinely requires dexterity for special machines and may be required to walk to and from work sites, bend, stoop, crawl, kneel
This position regularly spends time in outdoor areas; routinely spends time in and around outside construction areas; regularly spends time in maintenance shops and occasionally spends time in custodian or janitorial rooms.
SAFETY RISK EXPOSURE
Incumbents in this position are exposed to mechanical hazards, chemical hazards, electrical hazards, extreme temperature, extreme weather conditions, wetness and humidity.
PROTECTIVE GEAR & SAFETY MANUALS
This position is required to constantly follow written safety procedures and manuals relevant to the division or department. Occasionally requires reflective road vest, rubber gloves, constantly requires safety foot wear, ccasionally requires hearing protection devices and hard hat.
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR
Potential errors can result in minor delay or inconvenience. Errors can be detected early.
APPLICANTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO FURNISH, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, DOCUMENTARY PROOF OF EDUCATIONS, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION, LICENSE OR ANY OTHER PROOF OF COMPETENCY AS REQUIRED IN THE OFFICIAL CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION OR ANNOUNCEMENT AND MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNDERGO PHYSICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL AND/OR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS AS A CONTINUING CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT. FURTHER, APPLICANTS FOR POSITIONS REQUIRING OPERATION OF A COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE ON OFFICIAL BUSINESS MUST POSSESS AND MAINTAIN COUNTY OR PERSONAL VEHICLE OPERATORS LICENSE. GILA COUNTY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY, AND FAMILIAL STATUS IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISIONS OF SERVICE. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
Closing Date/Time: APRIL 2, 2019