The Public Works Department
of the County of San Mateo is seeking candidates for the position ofAssistant
/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer
to join our skilled and dedicated team!Assistant Engineer
is the entry and trainee level in the professional civil engineering series.Under immediate supervision, employees perform first level professional civil engineering field and office work while acting in a trainee capacity in connection with the planning, design, construction and maintenance of a wide variety of civil engineering projects.Associate Engineer
is the journey level job classification and Associate Civil Engineer
is the registered journey level classification in the engineering series. At both levels, a high degree of technical expertise and some periodic lead responsibilities are required. Under general supervision, incumbents may perform a variety of professional engineering services in such areas as planning, design and construction inspection of roads, park trails, bridges, drainage, sanitary sewer systems, water supply, and other public works projects. Associate Civil Engineers may provide lead direction to other staff in completing projects of greater difficulty and complexity. Incumbents will be required to perform field work in support of the planning, the design and/or construction inspection of public works projects. NOTE:
AssociateCivil Engineer differs from the Associate Engineer classification in that employees in the former must be registered as professional engineers in the State of California and may provide lead direction to other staff in completing projects of greater difficulty and complexity.
There are currently two vacancies in the following units: Design and Construction
The Assistant/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer that would be assigned to the Design and Construction Section would perform AutoCAD/Civil3Dwork and work on Public Works infrastructure projects such as roads, drainage, retaining walls, bridges, sewer and other public works facilities including the planning, designing, preparation of construction bid documents and inspection of public works facilities. This position may also involve the application and management of outside grants associated with Public Works facilities. Roads Services Operations
The Assistant/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer that would be assigned to the Road Operations Section would design and manage traffic circulation improvement projects, review and comment on traffic studies and routinely deal with traffic engineering firms and the public on traffic engineering issues. In addition, work may include managing consulting traffic engineering firms and performing in-house traffic modeling.
The ideal candidate
for this position is:
- Technically knowledgeable and experienced in the principles and practices of civil engineering, and public works design, construction, and maintenance.
- An effective communicator, both orally and in writing; able to represent the County in meetings and presentations to various groups including community groups, regulatory and other governmental agencies, and the general public.
- Customer-focused and interpersonally effective in dealing with staff, engineers, contractors and the public, and in coordinating with law enforcement agencies, emergency responders and other agencies when necessary.
- Provide information to the public and other governmental agencies, in person or over the telephone, regarding County procedures and regulations, facility locations, plan requirements and property ownership, which may require the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Perform development plan reviews and prepare plan review comments.
- Able to analyze and evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations and prepare effective technical staff reports.
- Accountable and able to schedule and carry through with assignments with independence.
- Experience in designing public works projects such as road improvements, drainage improvements, parks facilities, and sewers, is ideal with work experience using computer aided drafting software such as AutoCAD/Civil3D.
- Proficient in computer aided drafting and design software.
:The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Candidates for Associate Civil Engineer must possess a valid Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California at the time of hire. Candidates for Traffic Engineer must possess a valid Certificate of Registration as a Traffic Engineer in the State of California is required at the time of hire as or upon designation as Traffic Engineer. Some positions require possession of a class C California driver license or equivalent. Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
- Assistant Engineer:Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering OR twenty-four semester units in civil engineering courses and three years of civil engineering experience in office, field or survey party work OR possession of an Engineer in Training Certificate.
- Associate Engineer:Two years of professional civil engineering experience which has included field and office work in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Associate Civil Engineer: In addition to possession of a valid Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California at the time of hire, two years of professional civil engineering experience which has included field and office work in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Civil engineering practices and procedures including design and construction methods and techniques.
- Strength and properties and uses of materials and hydraulics.
- Civil engineering design and drafting principles.
- Project management principles and practices.
- Basic principles of supervision.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in civil engineering projects.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in civil engineering construction work.
- Construction inspection techniques.
- Hydraulics and strength of materials.
- Principles of engineering as they apply to public works projects.
- Engineering mathematics and their application to engineering problems.
Incumbents in positions designated as Traffic Engineer must also have: Knowledge of :
- Perform engineering calculations and routine design work.
- Solve surveying problems.
- Prepare neat and accurate maps, drawings, notes and reports.
- Inspect civil engineering work in progress.
- Prepare clear, concise correspondence and reports.
- Comply with safety procedures.
- Supervise subordinate staff.
- Operate survey equipment.
Skill/Ability to :
- Current principles and practices of traffic engineering.
- Systems and computer programs used in transportation analyses.
- Traffic control devices including system design, installation and equipment and operation.
- Federal, state and local traffic engineering laws and ordinances.
- Contract preparation, selection, and administration.
- Grant application process.
- Apply civil engineering principles related to transportation projects.
- Create traffic models for in-house projects and review and approve models from consultants.
- Conduct traffic impact analysis for road projects and approve projects affecting county roadway.
- Review transportation studies, perform investigations and submit recommendations regarding installations of traffic control devices and control measures.
Application/Examination Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply.
CurrentCounty of San Mateoand County of SanMateo Superior Court of California employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary,SEIUorAFSCMErepresented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition toour regular employment application form.A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: Pass/Fail). A screening committee will select those applicants whose training, experience and responses to the questions on the employment application and supplemental questionnaire appear to best meet the needs of the position and invite them to interview. Because of this process, all applicants meeting the minimum requirements are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the recruitment process. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%) which may include a written or performance exercise. Depending on the number of applications, an application appraisal of training and experience may be used in place of examinations. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and all applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT:
Applications for this position are accepted online only. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click on the"Apply Online"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttp://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply.TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULEApplication Deadline: March 26, 2019
Application Screening: April 9, 2019
Panel Interviews: April 24 and/or 25, 2019At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Christina Chan(031319) (Assistant/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer (N033/N018/N020)