Position InformationThis recruitment is to establish an eligibility list for upcoming department vacancies.
A complete application for this position requires:
This recruitment will include completing a rigorous physical agility process and candidates selected for hire will be required to complete a full Police Department background.
- Completed NeoGov application,
- Resume attached,
- POST Basic Certification or higher(State of CA DOJBasic (or higher) Certification which complies with the provisions set forth in Title 11, Division 2, of the California Code of Regulations. POST accredited police academy graduate certifications labeled "Basic" or "Basic Academy", etc. are NOT equivalent to the State of CA Basic Certificate as listed above.)
This is a continuous recruitment, until further notice.Job DescriptionDefinition:
Under supervision, to perform law enforcement and crime prevention work; to control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; to perform investigative work; to perform related work as required.Typical Duties:
- Patrol City in radio car, on bicycle, horseback, motorcycle or on foot; answer calls for the protection of life and property and the enforcement of City, County and State laws*;
- May conduct both preliminary and follow-up investigations of disturbances, prowlers, burglaries, thefts, holdups, vehicle accidents, death and other criminal incidents; make arrests as necessary; interview victims, complainants, witnesses and suspects*;
- Gather and preserve evidence*;
- Testify and present evidence in court*;
- Administer first aid*;
- Contract and cooperate with other law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the investigation of crimes and the apprehension of offenders*;
- Prepare reports of arrests made, investigations conducted and unusual incidents observed*;
- Serve warrants and subpoenas*;
- While on patrol, stop drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; warn drivers against unlawful practices; Issue citations and make arrests as necessary; check buildings for physical security*;
- Attend and police special events and other emergency or congested situations*;
- Maintain contact with citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems and preserve good relationships with the general public*;
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Duties recorded above are representative of the duties of the class and are not intended to cover all the duties performed by incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class; such assignments shall fall under the category of "other duties, as assigned." Tools and Equipment Used:
Police car, police radio, radar gun, baton, handcuffs, Intoxilyzer, cellular phone and/or pager, first aid equipment, handgun, Taser and other weapons as required, and computer related equipment in the field and office environment.Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, controls, and/or tools listed above; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste and/or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts, in high precarious places, and with explosives and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to : Physically pursue and capture wanted persons; observe accurately and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents and places; use and care of firearms; think and act quickly in emergencies, and judge situations and people accurately; learn, understand and interpret laws and regulations; prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports; learn and use standard broadcasting procedures of a police radio system; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; understand and carry out oral and written directions.QualificationsMinimum Qualifications:
Education : High school graduation or equivalent, supplemented by a valid Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Basic Academy certification.
ADDITIONAL STATE OF CALIFORNIA REQUIREMENTS (• 1031.5 GOVT CODE)
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a citizen of the United States; or be a permanent resident alien and have applied for citizenship.
A person who has not obtained citizenship within three years after application for employment due to non-cooperation with the government agency processing the citizenship application, or a person who has been denied citizenship, is disqualified from being or becoming a police officer.
Additional Requirements : Possession of a valid California Driver License.
Equivalency may be established pursuant to the City-wide Classification Plan. Additional InformationAPPLICATIONS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED ONLINE, THROUGH THENEOGOVSYSTEM.
If this is the first time you are applying using the online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can build your application which can be saved and used to apply for other City of Chico employment opportunities.Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure applications are received by the City of Chico Human Resources Office.Degree, Licenses, Certifications and/or Equivalencies: Candidates must include copies of items listed as a minimum qualification; failure to provide required certificates by the close of the recruitment will result in candidate disqualification.
If this position requires a typing certificate: typing certificates must have been issued within one year and the net speed must match the minimum requirement listed in the job description. For standardization, net speed will be calculated by subtracting the number of errors from the gross WPM. Internet generated typing certifications arenot
accepted. Equivalency for experience and/or education listed within a job description may be established pursuant to the City-wide Classification Plan and through coordination with Human Resources. Candidates seeking an equivalency must contact Human Resources, at (530) 879-7900, for instructions on submitting an equivalency request. Being minimally qualified for a position does not guarantee a candidate progression through the full recruitment process.Travel and Recruitment Related Expenses:
The City of Chico does not reimburse applicants for any travel or expenses in connection with applying for employment, unless authorized by the City Manager.Pre-Employment Processing:
Applicants may be required to pass fingerprinting and a medical examination as a condition of employment or promotion. Medical exams may include a fitness exam, psychological exam, and a drug and alcohol screening, depending on the position. E-verify is used to determine candidate eligibility to work in the United States.
The City of Chico is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports workforce diversity. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The City of Chico will consider individuals with disabilities based on their qualifications to perform the essential functions of the position for which they are applying and will provide reasonable accommodation in the application and/or testing process. If you require accommodation in the application and/or testing process, please notify the Human Resources Office within seven (7) days of the need for accommodation, so appropriate alternative arrangements can be made.
If you have any questions, or need additional assistance regarding City of Chico employment opportunities, please contact the Human Resources Department at (530) 879-7900 or email@example.com .