Are you looking for a challenging role with organization that provides flexible hours, rewarding compensation, and an excellent benefit package? Do you have expertise and skill in emergency management or the emergency services? If so, Lake County Government needs your skills and drive in our Emergency Management Agency to help build and execute the county’s Emergency Management Program. Lake County employs more than 2,700 team members to provide the highest level of service possible. We expect our employees to take ownership of their responsibilities, look for innovative ways to improve service, and demonstrate respect for their coworkers and the customers we protect and serve.
Position: EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (County Administrator's Office)
Location: Waukegan, Illinois
Salary: $51,121 - $58,923
The Specialist has a wide variety of responsibilities and professional challenges including:
- Assist the EMA Manager and staff to administer, coordinate, and execute the Emergency Management Program for more than 700,000 residents
- Develop, maintain, and exercise Lake County's Emergency Operations Plan, Continuity of Operations Plan, and associated subordinate policies, plans, and procedures
- Provide expert advice and assistance to 52 municipalities, 18 townships, and numerous public and private organizations for similar plans and exercises
- Support and guide teams working on large and complex projects and during emergencies, including the Emergency Operations Center and multi-agency and multi-jurisdiction operations
- Build relationships with state and local emergency managers, first responders, municipal and county leaders and departments, business representatives, volunteers, residents, and others
- Address routine challenges from a continually evolving career field and the varied natural and man-made emergencies a large, suburban county experiences
These responsibilities require the Specialist to have important skills including:
- Work responsibly and independently to complete assignments of varying difficulty and complexity
- Exercise considerable independent professional judgement in solving most problems that arise within their assigned work areas
- Demonstrate professional knowledge and demeanor while guiding, assisting, and supporting many different types of customers and stakeholders
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, standards, etc.
A successful candidate should have the following education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Emergency Management, Public Administration, or related degree
- Completed Incident Command System (ICS) 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in emergency management or emergency services, including operational planning, exercise design, and implementation of training programs
- Ability to earn IL Professional Emergency Manager or Certified Emergency Manager within 2 years
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours and comprehensive wellness and training programs. Learn more about Lake County EMA at http://www.lakecountyil.gov/2228/Emergency-Management-Agency. Learn more about Lake County employees and benefits at https://www.lakecountyil.gov/3552/Prospective-Employees.
Applications accepted until position filled. Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing, and may include a pre-employment medical exam. Lake County is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.