The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:9/4/19, 3/6/20, 9/4/20
Senior Water Distribution Operators perform the most complex duties in connection with the operation, maintenance, construction, and repair of water distribution systems, hydraulic power systems and hydro-pneumatic systems. Positions in this class also serve as a lead worker over one or more Water System Operators. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of:
- The California Safe Drinking Water Act
- EPA Standards, Rules and Regulations ensuring safe drinking water and protecting ground water
- The methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the construction, inspection, troubleshooting, repair and maintenance of water distribution systems and the interrelationship of equipment and systems
- Safety regulations, practices and procedures required when working in a variety of working conditions using hand tools, light equipment, and vehicles
- Identity of underground utilities and recognition of potential excavation conflicts
- First aid and CPR
- A variety of computer software applications to include word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs, SCADA and CMMS
- Welding techniques and practices
- Procedures and corrective actions to respond to emergency and special operating conditions
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Provide lead direction
- Train and mentor personnel
- Construct, inspect, troubleshoot, repair and maintain water distribution systems
- Perform strenuous physical labor
- Use a variety of hand, precision, and power tools
- Drive a variety of mobile equipment such as dump trucks, water trucks, backhoes, tractors, vacuum vehicles, utility trucks, step vans, and forklifts on paved and/or uneven terrain such as hills, slopes, rocky or wet ground
- Read, interpret and utilize manufacturer's specifications, operations manuals, piping schematics, water system maps, plans, blueprints, etc.
- Perform operational mathematics
- Maintain courteous and effective relationships with County employees and the general public
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Effectively communicate verbally and in written correspondence
- Handle contact with external customers or the public with tact and good judgment
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Provide first aid and CPR
- Use computer equipment and related peripheral equipment to enter and extract information
Either: 1. One year of full-time experience in the class of Water System Operator or Assistant Underground Construction and Maintenance Specialist in Sacramento County service performing duties which have included the construction, repair, maintenance and operation of water distribution systems, water treatment facilities, water wells, water booster pumping stations, water storage facilities, and storm water pumping stations.
Or: 2. Two years of full-time experience in the construction, repair, and maintenance of one or more of the following systems: underground pipeline, wastewater collection, storm water collection, or underground water distribution.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications
Age Requirement: Candidates must be 18 years of age prior to appointment because of the hazards of the job, as defined in the Fair Labor Standard Act.
- A valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher is required prior to appointment to this class. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- A valid California Driver's License, Class A, and/or special endorsements including but not limited to the Hazardous Materials Endorsement is required for some positions.
Failure to maintain the appropriate California Driver's License and/or endorsement(s) constitutes cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining unit agreements.
Certifications: Water Distribution Grade 2 (D2) certificate: All incumbents must possess and maintain a valid Water Distribution Operator Grade 2 (D2) certificate issued by the State of California, Department of Health Services (DHS) at time of appointment.Note:
Failure to maintain the certificate may constitute a cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining unit agreement. The appropriate amount of continuing education hours must be completed as required by the State of California to maintain the required certification.
Criminal History: The County may access criminal history information on all candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedure B-5 and applicable Federal and State law. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
- Perform strenuous manual labor
- Perform tasks requiring manual dexterity
- While carrying equipment which may weigh up to 25 pounds, safely climb and work on ladders with a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Stand on a ladder while performing tasks with both hands
- Wear respiratory protection
- Lift and carry heavy equipment and tools weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance; lift heavier items with assistance
- Frequently bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch and reach above the shoulder
- Work for extended periods of time in a bent, stooped, kneeling or prone position
- Work in areas with unsteady footing
- Enter and exit through restricted entrances of 24 and 36 inches in diameter
Some employees will be required to operate a jackhammer weighing up to 90 pounds.Note:
Individuals who do not meet these physical requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Work in enclosed areas where the temperature may exceed 100 degrees
- Enter, exit, and work in enclosed and confined spaces
- Work in trenches up to 23 feet in depth
- Work outside in all types of climatic conditions including inclement or very hot weather
- Work around dust, dirt, noise, and odors
- Work on uneven terrain
- Work in hip boots during muddy conditions
Shift, Weekend and Holiday Work Water distribution functions are a 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, operation. All employees in this class will be subject to working shifts, weekends, holidays, overtime and standby.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous