Under the direction of the ITNI Director and IT Communication Lead, the incumbent writes work
orders (voice, data, incident, voice mail, auth code), follows the work order through all tasks and
closes the work order which may include billing and cable records updates. The incumbent position may provide consultations and pricing services to requestors. This position assists the IT Communication Lead and Sr. Work Order Writer in assigning work orders to technicians and assists technicians in meeting the campus technology needs.
Under the direction of the IT Division Resource Manager and IT Finance and Admin Resource Lead,
the incumbent supports the Lead with a variety of financial, facilities coordination, project/process
management, technical support knowledge, and analytical duties in support of the overall operations
of IT Division.
For more information regarding the Information Technology Network and Infrastructure (ITNI) department, here: https://it.sdsu.edu/services/infrastructure.aspx
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base) benefits eligible, permanent (probationary) position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs.
Education and Experience
Entry to this classification requires a fully functional knowledge of and skill in standard
office procedures and practices, as well as an ability to understand and operate in a
variety of organizational structures. Additionally, incumbents are expected to have a
thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation and be able to
clearly communicate orally and in writing. Some positions may require a knowledge of
business mathematics beyond basic arithmetic. The ability to use and quickly learn new
office support technology systems and software packages is also a prerequisite. These
entry qualifications would normally be obtained through a high school program,
technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined with several years of
related office work experience.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
• One year of experience working in a work order and billing system(s). Able to manage information for work orders.
• One year of experience in a customer service environment.
• Six months experience providing administrative support to IT professionals.
• One year of experience with inventory management including principles.
• Strong Microsoft Office experience.
• Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions.
• Extreme accuracy, checking work, especially with numbers, and a logical and analytical mind.
• Ability to resolve discrepancies in database and user information.
• Knowledge of Mitel telephone equipment software and PBX switch.
• Knowledge of campus cable locations, i.e. cable plants and cable assignments, including
• knowledge of telecom/data installation procedures.
• Ability to analyze and gather information from floor plans to create work order with required
• Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide support with the work
• order process and telephone training.
• Knowledge of campus wide voices systems and campus cable.
• Skill and experience with multi-line phone.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $3,500 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $2,846 - $5,148 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here: https://bfa.sdsu.edu/hr/jobs/benefits
Initial review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on February 12, 2020. To receive full consideration, apply by February 11, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here: https://smokefree.sdsu.edu/
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Meracle Cothron at 619-594-1139.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Diego, California