The Position There is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a limited-continuous filing exam. The filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 10/30/2020, 11/13/2020, 12/3/2020, 12/17/20, *2/8/21* (Final) Click on the links below to find out about some of the exciting opportunities available now:
Environmental Program Manager I - Regional San
The Environmental Program Manager I performs the full scope of management work over programs concerned with present and future environmental issues related to safeguarding the public interest and ensuring the high quality standards necessary to protect both public health and the environment.
Under general direction, the Environmental Program Manager I is responsible for the day-to-day management of the people and budget and the operational integration and coordination of environmental programs, components, and/or service areas that are highly sensitive and complex in nature. Staff oversight is usually delegated through supervisors and/or advanced practitioners and typically involves planning, organizing, executing, controlling and evaluating the final products and services. Incumbents function in a liaison capacity and coordinate program activities, products and services with other governmental agencies, county departments, and the private sector. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Laws, codes, regulations, and policies affecting the programs, services, and operations of the department
- Principles of environmental ecology
- Principles of environmental compliance assurance
- Effects of waste material on water quality and land quality and the interactions of waste with the environment
- Environmental practices with special reference to their general effect on human health and the quality of the environment
- Principles of chemistry and chemical reactions
- Statistical methods and analysis
- Principles and practices of scientific and technical problem solving
- Principles and methods of program development, project management, and program/project analysis and evaluation
- Principles of public administration and public sector budget development and administration
- Principles, practices and techniques of staff management, supervision, mentoring, training, performance evaluations, discipline, employer-employee relations and conflict resolution
- Sacramento County Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Team dynamics and team building
Employment Qualifications Minimum QualificationsEither:
- Plan, organize, administer, and evaluate the operations and services of a division, program, or unit within the department
- Develop and administer a division or program budget; work with subordinate managers or supervisors in program budget development and administration
- Establish, monitor and control projects and schedules to meet goals and objectives
- Manage, supervise, train, and coach managers and senior level scientific and professional staff
- Maintain responsibility for staff evaluations; oversee and direct staff development and employee training; and respond to and adjust grievances
- Manage, direct, and organize the collection of environmental data and information
- Recognize problems, analyze and evaluate complex environmental data; develop recommendations or solutions and take appropriate actions
- Review and interpret impact of legislative changes
- Manage the development and presentation of scientific studies and reports
- Develop innovative solutions for difficult and complex environmental management problems
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Effectively represent the department in contacts and relationships with the public, local business community and other government agencies and media
Graduation from an accredited college or university with major in health science, public health, natural science, physical science, environmental science, or a related field. AND
Two years of supervisory experience at a level equivalent to the Environmental Specialist IV class within Sacramento County service.Or:
Possession of split off rights as granted by the Civil Service Commission and Board of Supervisors via SRA #90-85.Note:
Possession of a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in health science, public health, natural science, business or public administration, physical science, environmental science, or a related field may substitute for one year of the required experience.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; normal manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computers, keyboards, telephones, calculators, and copiers.
Work Schedule and Conditions:
Incumbents are subject to work in adverse weather conditions, emergency situations, and perform duties during other than normal working hours, as necessary.
General License Requirements:
All classes in this series require possession of, or ability to obtain a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher, before the date of appointment. Failure to obtain and maintain this license constitutes cause for suspension or termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rules.
Professional Certification/ Registration Requirements:
Failure to obtain and maintain required certification/registration constitutes cause for suspension or termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rules.
Some positions may require possession of valid certification as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist, issued by the State of California.
Some positions may require possession of valid certifications, as deemed necessary by legislative mandate or appropriate regulatory authority in the State of California.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 2/8/2021 5:00 PM Pacific