*Full-time status and wage available contingent on staffing needs and seniority*
Under close supervision, operates public transit buses, collects fares, transports passengers, and performs safety inspection of bus equipment.
Example Of Duties
- Memorizes routes, transfer points, and fare structures for all lines assigned divisions
- Performs a complete pre-pull-out inspection of bus, safety checks equipment, and informs mechanic when adjustments or repairs are necessary
- Refers to and implements route maps, time schedules, and instructions for pull-outs, line service, pull-ins, and off-route trips
- Collects and counts fares, issues transfer tickets, and transports passengers on public transit buses
- Provides schedule, route, and fare information to passengers seeking assistance
- Operates wheelchair lift and assists passengers with disabilities in boarding, riding, and alighting in a safe manner which may include pushing a wheelchair up & down the ramp
- Secures wheelchairs of passengers with disabilities and clearly communicates the action being taken
- Receives and transmits two-way radio messages involving accidents, emergencies, criminal activities, or other authorized Metro business
- Line instructs student trainees and regular operators learning specific bus line routes
- Reports hazardous or dangerous conditions along bus route and at passenger loading zones, including such hazards as unusual traffic, road conditions, obstructions, construction, and potential criminal activity
- Writes reports and completes forms
- Contributes to ensuring that the EEO policies and programs of Metro are carried out
Positions in this job classification are considered safety sensitive and subject to drug and alcohol testing, including random testing, under Federal Transportation Administration(FTA) drug and alcohol regulations.
Requirements For Employment
- 21 years of age
- 6 months of public contact or customer service experience
- Valid California Class C driver's license
- Possess a valid US driver's license for at least two years
- Good driving record as verified by a K-4 DMV printout
- Able to obtain a BP Permit prior to offer of employment and a BP License before completion of training
- Must have satisfactory attendance and work performance records as verified by reference check prior to offer of employment
- State and local traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations involved in the operation of vehicles
- Vehicle safety rules and regulations
- Basic money and time concepts
- Operate Metro vehicles and equipment safely and efficiently
- Work independently in a highly-structured environment
- Exercise sound judgment in stressful situations
- Understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions
- Communicate courteously and effectively with other employees and the public
- Decipher and successfully encounter traffic patterns flows and potential road hazards
- Recognize existing or potential mechanical defects, problems, or maladjustments
- Push, pull and lift up to 35 pounds
- Push and pull wheelchair up to 275 pounds
- Bend with both knees and back, squat and/or kneel when securing a wheelchair
- Quickly and accurately count money at a glance
- Read small printed material
- Perceive patrons at bus stops from great distances
- Read, write, speak, and understand English
Applicants who best meet job-related qualifications will be invited to participate in the examination process that may consist of any combination of written, performance, or oral appraisal to further evaluate job-related experience, knowledge, skills and abilities.
To apply, visit Metro's website at www.metro.net and complete an online Employment Application.
Computers are available to complete online Employment Applications at the following Metro location:
METRO Headquarters, Employment Office
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Telephone: (213) 922-6217 or persons with hearing or speech impairments can use California Relay Service 711 to contact Metro.
All completed online Employment Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. RLM
Metro/PTSC is an equal employment opportunity employer.
*Open to the public and all Metro employeesThis job bulletin is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.
Closing Date/Time: 31-MAY-21
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.