The Position This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: *5/5/2021, *6/9/2021, *7/7/2021, *8/4/2021, *9/8/2021, *10/6/2021, *11/3/2021,*12/8/2021 (Final)
Under general supervision plans, designs, installs, and maintains the network of radio communication equipment used to support local government jurisdictions in relation to law enforcement, fire suppression, and general government activities. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge Of:
- Advanced theory of radio communications and electronics including microwave radio theory and operation
- Electrical and mechanical theory and operation
- 800 MHz trunked radio systems, digital microwave, DS1 and DS3 multiplexers, LAN, WAN, computer operations and various software programs
- Two-way radio communications
- Various tools and instruments used to test and repair electronic and telecommunications equipment
- Dispatch consoles systems repair, programming, and troubleshooting; computer software and hardware related to radio dispatch console systems
- Basic network systems
- Design, installation, operation, and maintenance of wireless communications systems, including telephone and data systems, simulcast trunked radio systems, microwave and complex multicarrier equipment, automatic switchboards, radio controlled equipment, test devices, and other telecommunications equipment
- Engineering practices and principles related to telecommunications and/or network systems
- Engineering mathematics and electronics
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Industry standards related to public safety and wireless communications
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and other specialized applications related to area of assignment
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications: Either:
- Research and evaluate system problems, and recommend solutions
- Read and interpret complex infrastructure and electronic system diagrams, blueprints, and design documentation
- Troubleshoot problems on trunked radio equipment, digital microwave, and multiplexing carrier equipment
- Use hand tools to construct, install, maintain, repair modify and operate electronic equipment, and test complex electronic circuitry
- Use precision instruments for measuring radio frequencies, deviation modulation, and other data
- Develop and maintain cooperative, effective working relationships with others
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Interpret and apply applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Apply customer service skills, including the identification of customer needs and follow up to ensure customer commitments have been met
- Collect and compile a variety of data and information; keep accurate records and prepare clear and concise reports
1. One year of full-time paid experience employed by Sacramento County in the class of Telecommunications Systems Technician.Or:
2. Four years of full-time paid experience implementing, maintaining, and repairing conventional and trunked radio systems such as 800 MHz trunked radio systems, digital microwave, multiplexing systems, wireless voice/data systems, and network circuits.
Education Substitution Applicable to Pattern 2: Completion of 30 semester units (or 45 quarter units) in Electronics Technology; Communications Engineering; Electronics/Electrical Engineering; Telecommunications Technology; Management Information Systems; Computer Science; Information Technology; or a closely related field from an accredited college or university, military, vocational, or other specialized training program may be substituted for one year of the required experience. NOTE:
Completion of training courses which do not have semester unit values are equated to semester units on the basis of: 15 clock hours of instruction equal one (1) semester (1.5 quarter) unit. Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications Criminal History and Background Checks:
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks where authorized by Labor Code section 1024.5, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.License Requirement:
A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Physical Requirements
Some positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- Discern minute objects and parts.
- Distinguish between different colors.
- Lift, push, pull, or transport up to 50 lbs. with or without assistance.
- Stand, sit, kneel, squat, stoop, reach, or crawl for extended periods of time.
- Climb and work from a ladder.
- Grasp, manipulate, and assemble objects of varying shapes and sizes with precision and coordination.
- Work in confined spaces, such as but not limited to ceilings and crawl spaces.
Individuals who do not meet these requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Working Conditions:
The SRRCS and associated systems function 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All employees in this class will be subject to working shifts, weekends, holidays, overtime and standby.
Some positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to work:
- In or around jails, correctional facilities, mental health facilities, or remote, isolated locations.
- In varying types of weather conditions.
- In confined spaces, such as but not limited to ceilings and crawl spaces.
Six (6) monthsApplication and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 12/8/2021 5:00 PM Pacific